Background: The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The position is responsible for rehabilitation and construction activities for target IDP camps in Dhusamareb WASH systems – including water systems, sanitation facilities and hygiene promotion. This includes all elements of Supervision, planning, and quality control.
- The WASH Assistant will be assisting implementation water, environmental sanitation and hygiene promotion activities in the operation area.
- Mobilize all stakeholders to respond appropriately to outbreaks of cholera and acute watery diarrhea.
- To facilitate community hygiene outreach for internally displaced people (IDPs) camps including the host communities.
- To ensure that planned hygiene promotion activities are being undertaken correctly in designated project locations, usually in coordination with other WASH activities.
- Facilitate and ensure that all hygiene components and sanitation issues are understood and implemented among the communities/IDPs.
- Conduct household water safety and hygiene promotion assessment and build the capacity of local communities for sustainable water safety and hygiene promotion services.
- Support and conduct training of water management committees
- Support the existing community organization for dialogue in order to improve and upscale positive hygiene practices among the communities/IDPs
- Conduct water quality surveys at all IRC rehabilitated water supply systems.
- Facilitate and participate community voluntary participation in waste management, provision of clean and safe water and measures in order to promote hygiene practices.
- A Diploma certificate in Water Supply, Public Health or related discipline, or equivalent work experience in community water, sanitation and hygiene program.
- At least one year & halve experience in working with an INGO in WASH sector
- Relevant training and experience in Water, Sanitation and hygiene.
- Experience in community social work
- Good report writing and communication skills
To apply for this job, visit the IRC careers page on: www.rescue.org/careers