Oxfam has been working in Ethiopia since 1974, devoted to empowering people against poverty. In 2015-16, the organisation consolidated its efforts to meet the needs of the most vulnerable and has reached close to one million people across Ethiopia with life-saving humanitarian assistance. Oxfam’s Humanitarian programme currently operates through five field bases with more than 150 staff – four in Somali region (Jijiga, Daghabur, Kebredehar and Warder), Gambella and getting prepared to open other offices in Benishangul-Gumuz as part of its ongoing South Sudan refugee response. The development team currently operates in Oromia, Amhara, Tigray and Somali region.
Oxfam is currently responding to drought in Somali region of Ethiopia following its response strategy (Programme Focus WASH and EFSVL with gender and protection as cross cutting) having ambition of benefitting 1,000,000 people with a total budget of 37 Million USD.
The drought response manager will provide overall leadership of the operational management of the drought response programme, in accordance with Oxfam standards and in coordination with country team. He/she will be responsible for ensuring the elaboration and implementation of a drought response strategy (emergency and sustainable solutions) and decides on adaptation based on needs assessment. He/She will provide a coherent integrated response; financial and human resources security; an appropriate campaign/advocacy dimension. He/she will be overall security responsible and provide support to the wellbeing of staff.
Skills and Competencies required:
To be successful in this role you should have:
- At least 8 years of proven international experience in humanitarian sector
- Proven experience in People management
- Cultural sensibility
- Experience in leading the development, and ensuring the delivery, of program strategy, either through partners or direct implementation.
- Proven experience in pastoralist environments, with an understanding of the drought response crisis is a plus.
- Proven understanding of Oxfam’s key areas of intervention: including gender, protection, advocacy, NFIs, EFSVL and WaSH
- Experience and proven success in fundraising from diverse institutions, local, regional and international.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically, including the ability to think beyond the country programme context in line with Oxfam humanitarian mandate.
- Experience in leading and motivating large multi-disciplinary teams, a high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development.
- Experience in representing an organization with partners, government agencies, private sector organisations, and donors at senior level: locally, regionally
- An active commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of marginalised people in all aspects of an organisation’s work.
- Financial management experience of managing multi-million USD budgets
- Proven commitment to Oxfam’s values, including to promoting gender equality and women’s rights
This is a great opportunity for dedicated and dynamic professionals. If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please submit your application and CV including a day time contact by applying online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs Ref: INT3906 before the closing date:9th November 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Diversity the difference starts with you right
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.