SI has been operating in South Sudan since 2006, and has developed activities in emergency and post emergency contexts, particularly in rural and semi-urban areas. Its expertise in running emergency WaSH intervention is highly acknowledged by all WaSH actors and donors present in the country.
We currently operate an Emergency Preparedness and Response program throughout the entire country, as well as Wash activities in the PoC in Malakal, and emergency Wash assistance in informal settlements (Upper West Nile), and SI is launching a new project in partnership with the INGO ALIMA and will cover the Wash activities impacting maltnutrition in the framework of this multisectorial project that targets IDPs and host communities of the area of Raja (Western bahr El Ghazal).
The mission strategy is to continue along with our focus on WASH/EPR interventions and to develop stronger responses to food security and livelihood needs.
The coordination is based in Juba (7 expatriates) as well as the flying EPR team (3 expatriates). The Malakal base (4 expatriates) is also supporting a sub-base in Aburoc (1 expatriate). The new base opening in Raj is also staffed (2 expatriates). The current Head of mission has stabilized the expatriate turnover on the mission with more experienced coordinators and the team benefits from a lasting positive dynamic.
About the job
The program aims at managing wash activities in sector 1 of the camp (also called PoC). This sector covers about half the beneficiaries of the camp, about 12.000 persons. The activties cover:
- Waste treatment
- Latrines building and management
- Hygiene promotion
- Management of a contingency pre-positionned in case of choelra outbreak to be able to offer a prompt and accurate response.
The main challenges of the position are:
Capacity to capitalize on previous years of implementation to suggest a longer-lasting response to emergencies and water treatment in the PoC
The Program manager is responsible for the good implementation of the program. He is the line manager of the operational program teams and works in collaboration with ALIMA, along with the logistics and administrative department to ensure that the activities are delivered in a timely fashion and complying with our quality standards. His responsibilities include:
- Ensure the timely implementation of activities and that SI’s quality standards are met.
- Propose adjustments or developments to maintain project relevance when necessary.
- Coordinate activities with the program team and other departments of SI and INGOs in the area of intervention.
- Supervise the Activity Managers and Team Leaders.
- Participate in strategic planning.
- Prepare timely and accurate reporting to SI for donors and internal data collection and monitoring
- Minimum of 2 years as a program manager in humanitarian relief contexts
- Demonstrated understanding of Solidarités International mandate and values
- Experience in implementing a project in conflict areas
- Team management and supervisory experience
- Previous experience in South Sudan is major advantage
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the project cycle
- MEAL skills are an added-value
- Experience in wirting project proposals and reporting
- Technical skills in disludging, building matroines and supervising hygiene promotion.
- Strong management and training skills
- Stress management skills
- Ability to work within and lead a team
- Strong capacity of adaptation to stressful and basic living conditions
- Ability to work in insicure, conflict and stressful condition and under tight schedule
- Fluent English – written and spoken
- Arabic is an asset
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, working knowledge of spread sheet and database management
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
SI will offer you
SI will offer you:
Solidarités International will offer you:
- A salaried post: according to experience from 17600 euros gross per month, (1600 salary base plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a 700 USD perdiem.
- For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
[Living conditions : ]
Internet and Air conditioned 24/7 in the office and the compound (each room). Thanks to the previous field co we now have our own shower and toilets within the compound.
Possibility to do sport within the humanitarian hub (running, volley ball, soccer…).
Possibility to have a social life and interact outside work with all the humanitarians from the PoC living in the hub.
Little variety in the local food, food cargos are supplied by coordination logistics regularly
Mano Gaudin, Recruitment & Follow Up Officer