Job Number: 508187 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: Nigeria
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
PURPOSE OF THIS ASSIGNMENT
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of WASH (Water, Sanitation & Hygiene) Section and day to day supervision of the WASH Specialist (Research), the incumbent will specifically support the strengthening of community management structures (WASHCOMS) which are essential to sustainable community WASH systems. UNICEF has been supporting the establishment and capacity building of WASHCOMs however more has to done in terms of strengthening their capacity in order for them to effectively and sustainably operate as intended.
- Train a pool of resource persons at State and LGA levels including civil society actors to facilitate roll out of the Expanded guidelines for WASHCOM formation and training towards improving WASHCOMs’ performance in WASH project management and their expanded roles in promoting child survival and convergence activities at the community level.
- Develop a database/list of the above mentioned resource persons by state and LGA with contact addresses for use by LGAs whenever there is need for a WASHCOM and Federation of WASHCOM to be established or retrained.
- Support institutionalization of the WASHCOM functionality assessment that is currently being conducted through a PCA with PFD – Develop procedure which will enable State and LGA staff to collect the data for the assessment and discuss the reports on a quarterly basis for action.
- Collate and review data for update of WASHCOMs’ performance dashboard on WASHIMS based on outcome of WASHCOMs functionality assessments
- Conduct corrective monitoring in communities to ensure that Guideline for formation of WASHCOMS is followed.
- Document lessons and best practices on WASHCOM in WASH Programme for replication and upscale
- Support the implementation of the of the Accountability Mapping and Public Expenditure tracking activities
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas; Social Science, Development Studies, Public Health, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance
- Minimum of 3 years progressive experience in the UN or other international development organizations and national government in the WASH Sector supporting governance and community engagement
- Up to date knowledge on WASH governance principles and working knowledge of participatory approaches
- Excellent training and facilitation skills with ability to effectively lead participatory discussions and manage large group processes
- Experience in networking social mobilization and advocating for results amongst government agencies, NGOs, private actors and development partners
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Excellent computer skills, including internet navigation and office applications
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken) are required.
Opening Date Thu Oct 19 2017 10:00:00 GMT+0200 (CEST) W. Central Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Nov 02 2017 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (CET)