Job Number: 508399 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Asia and the Pacific: Bangladesh
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the supervision and direction of the WASH Sector Coordinator – and in coordination with other WASH sector technical coordinators, and WASH sector stakeholders – to ensure the essential information systems and datasets needed to support operational coordination, sectoral advocacy, and strategic decision-making are functional and continually refined.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Maintain updated contact information of all/most relevant humanitarian WASH partners and stakeholders as well as relevant partners from other sectors/coordination platforms.
- Maintain a document repository of all sector related information, standards, documents, etc., including other key datasets from other sectors for internal team use.
Maintain the Sector website, ensuring essential content is up-to-date and key WASH partners and stakeholders have timely and easy access to WASH Sector information.
- Support humanitarian WASH partners and stakeholders to allow consistency and comparability on their needs assessments and analysis through the development and/or adaptation of existing IM tools; this includes Sectoral, inter-sectoral and national systems/ tools. Liaise and provide technical support to the relevant stakeholders to ensure appropriate design, process and use of these tools, as well as the reporting of data.
Support the assessment capacities among humanitarian WASH partners and stakeholders by identifying needs and developing capacity building plans to overcome the existing gaps.
- Ensure data from humanitarian WASH partners and stakeholders is periodically and consistently collected and stored in a way that allows comparability and compatibility, and is available for regular and ad hoc analyses to support decision making as appropriate.
- Support the coordination team in key strategic planning processes and response plan revision phases (mid-term reviews) through the appropriate selection/revision of SMART indicators as well as through the refinement of the WASH Sector response monitoring framework.
Compile and keep up-to-date information on humanitarian WASH partners and stakeholders, their capacities and interventions (including information on Who, What, Where and When – 4W), as well as support the identification of needs and gaps through the evaluation and analysis across multiple datasets.
- Ensure the timely and regular dissemination of information, through products and communication channels tailored to the needs and usage of different audiences: including operational humanitarian WASH partners and stakeholders; other sectors; donors and civil society.
- Anticipate information needs and suggest appropriate tools or products to meet the needs of the WASH Sector, Site Focal Points and operational humanitarian WASH partners and other stakeholders.
Contribute to build capacities among governmental, other national or local partners and stakeholders as per issues related to information management and assessments.
- Contribute to and support UNICEF in ensuring the necessary links are made with existing information systems in the WASH sector, allowing compatibility with and input to WASH sector information management tools as appropriate.
- Contribute to and support other UNICEF sections, other sectors, including through the IMWG/ISCG, to ensure complementarity and cross-sectoral analysis of information, such as the provision of WASH services in institutions (schools, health centres, etc.)
- Essential administrative aspects (contacts, repository, website, etc.) are continuously maintained and up-to-date
- Key datasets (Sectoral and inter-sectoral) are continuously maintained, collected, and refined were necessary
- Routine and ad-hoc information products (analyses, reports, maps) tailored to different audiences are produced consistently, and on time.
Adaptation as required, and advancement of the WASH Information Management framework/strategy.
Expected background (Qualifications & Experience)
- Advanced university degree or equivalent experience in data science, or geographic sciences/engineering including information technology and statistics.
- Experience in conceiving and developing information systems and tools to respond to a variety of requirements
- Strong knowledge of, and experience in using, GIS and databases. Experience with Open Data Kit and mobile data collection an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with either the UN and/or NGO. Experience in humanitarian WASH is an asset.
- Fluency in English (verbal and written). Good written and spoken skills in the language of the humanitarian operation and knowledge of another UN language an asset.
Opening Date Thu Oct 26 2017 05:00:00 GMT+0200 (CEST) Bangladesh Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Nov 09 2017 18:55:00 GMT+0100 (CET)