It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
This is a key senior management role in the Mozambican organisational structure, WaterAid is looking for a Head of Programmes, Policy and Governance to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) of WaterAid Mozambique and reporting to the Country Director, you are responsible for:
- Leading on programme design, development, effectiveness, quality assurance, learning and impact in the Country Programme.
- Building high performing integrated programme and policy team including partnerships to design and implement innovative programmes with strong advocacy and influencing components.
- Identifying key WASH sector issues and leading the delivery of influencing programmes at national and district level.
- Encouraging and promote empowering and collaborative leadership, effective management, and a culture of openness, innovation and accountability in line with WaterAid’s values.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Good knowledge of Mozambique Government’s development policies and strategies, especially as they relate to water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Strong negotiation, influencing and networking skills.
- At least five (5) years of proven experience of development and management of programmes that deliver transformational change.
- Be fully committed to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
The role will require some travel in-country, as well as infrequent trips across the region and some internationally.
Please download the full job description here
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges. In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV, via email to [email protected] using “Head of PPG” as the subject. Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package. Please note: only Mozambican Nationals are eligible to apply.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation. Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications. No recruitment agencies please.