Job Number: 507934 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Asia and the Pacific: Myanmar
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Nature of Consultancy:
Short term (National/International) Consultancy for planning, organizing and reporting of the 6th International Learning and Exchange event on WinS in Myanmar.
International learning exchanges on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Schools (WASH-in-Schools/WinS) have been held in the Philippines (2012), India (2013), Lao PDR (2014), Sir Lanka (2015) and Indonesia (2016). These ILE events have provided opportunities to the stakeholders in WASH-in-Schools programming to come together and share their experiences in efforts to ensure that all students drink safe water, use clean toilets, wash hands with soap and maintain other hygiene practices in their schools, at all times. These exchanges have helped share innovative approaches, such as group hand washing and Three Star Approach in WinS, learn about what works and what does not work, and build the motivation of stakeholders in their pursuit of good WASH practices in all schools.
At the 5th WinS ILE event in Indonesia, the Myanmar delegates, on the request of ILE steering committee through UNICEF (Myanmar) and prior consensus of Ministry of Education, accepted and agreed to host the 6th WinS International Learning Exchange in Myanmar in 2017. This ToR presents the plan for the 2017 WinS ILE, which will be held in Nay Pyi Taw on 27 November to 1 December 2017.
On behalf of the Government of Myanmar, the Ministry of Education will lead organizing the 6th WinS ILE with the collaboration of Ministry of Health and Sports, Department of Rural Development under Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation, Foreign Economic Relation Department under Ministry of Planning and Finance and Central Statistical Organization under Ministry of Planning and Finance. Key technical and financial support will be provided by UNICEF. In addition the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Communication, Ministry of Religious Affair & Culture and NGOs would take part in making the event a success.
The outcomes including lesson learned and the best WASH practices to be shared by participant countries of this conference will be incorporated in further improving WinS programme in Myanmar. This consultancy relates to providing guidance for organizing the 5-day learning and exchange, and coordinating with the relevant stakeholders involved with conference design and content, developing materials, etc. This TOR has been prepared to define tasks for an event organizer to fulfill specified functions before, during, and after the event. It is expected that approximately 15 countries will join with around 75 international participants. The Ministry of Education and other relevant ministries will support State and Regional level government participants to travel to the event – approximately 70 Myanmar delegates are expected from local level and national ministries (Ministries of Education, Ministry of Health and Sports, and Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation, and others).
Purpose of the Assignment
To provide support in planning and organizing the WASH in Schools International Learning Exchange, from 27 Nov – 01 December 2017 in Nay Pyi Taw with field visit to Myaing Township.
Assignment Tasks, Expected Deliverables & Timeframe
Task 1.1. Support the maintenance of a conference website and Facebook page
Coordinate conference information with the conference website management. All content will be provided by UNICEF and Ministry of Education.
Conference website and Facebook page developed
Web site regularly updated
01 Nov- 15 Dec 2017
Task 1.2. Facilitating official processes and media engagement
Work with UNICEF Communication staff and LOC for press coverage, public relations and manage media representatives
ILE event well covered in the media
Task 1.3. Reading materials/ kits for participants
- Liaise with UNICEF in facilitating preparation, printing, and distribution of materials.
- Collect all the materials identified for distribution to the participants from UNICEF, and make approximately 200 copies available for distribution (in paper or media storage devices).
- Support LOC in procurement of conference kits. Prepare estimate of conference kits with specifications (to include a reasonably-priced, good quality bag, pen, USB-drives, plastic folders, writing pad, name tag, brochures, programme, reading materials, etc.).
(Note: UNICEF will pay the cost of conference kits).
- Make sufficient number of kits for media persons attending the event as needed (approx. 30 units).
Coordinate the distribution of administrative information in preparation and during the event, and address participants’ needs for any further information.
Conference kits prepared and ready before the conference.
Task 1.4. Guide and support preparation of country presentation
- Work with LOC and prepare template for country preparation
- Coordinate with country focal persons for country presentation
- Prepare guide/design for market place
- Coordinate with country focal persons for market place materials
Task 2. (During ILE Event): ILE event planning and organization
- Support LOC and UNICEF for planning ILE
- Support for Country level ILE preparation
- Review/finalize the Conference documents/presentation document
- Attend LOC meetings
Lead/guide logistical arrangement of the thematic group discussion sessions
Conference presentations/ documents collected and put all in USB before the conference.
Effective support provided to LOC in planning and organizing the conference in Nay Pyi Taw
01 – 30 Nov
Task 3. (During ILE Event): Support preparation and organization of field visit of ILE participants
Support LOC and Sub Committees for field trip preparation which will include:
- Support to LOC for designing the field trip programme
Prepare guidelines for field visit
Field trip preparation completed and communicated to participants and relevant stakeholders
27 Nov- 1 Dec
Task 4. (Post ILE Event) ILE event documentation and reporting
Compile field visit reports/findings and share
Field visit report prepared
Compile ILE event reports and upload to the web site
ILE conference documents compiled and put in USB for distribution
Present Conference report to LOC and UNICEF
ILE conference report prepared and submitted to LOC
6 Dec 2017 to 31 January 2018
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: communication, public relation, International Development
- Additional training in computer based software tools an asset
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector.
- Proven skills in communication, networking and conference/workshop planning and management
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Good knowledge and skills in workshop facilitation and report writing.
- Familiarity with ILE events is an asset.
- Familiarity with the Myanmar content.
3. Language Proficiency [ ]
Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Interested candidates are requested to attach an updated CV, complete the Expression of Interest Form attached in vacancy announcement.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date Mon Oct 16 2017 04:30:00 GMT+0200 (CEST) Myanmar Standard Time
Closing Date Mon Oct 23 2017 19:25:00 GMT+0200 (CEST)