Join our SEI Tallinn Centre and be part of a diverse and motivated team of 18 experts. The centre currently focuses on four thematic areas: (1) climate and energy; (2) sustainable development; (3) environmental management; and (4) environmental economics. Most projects involve people from different thematic areas.
We are recruiting a senior data modelling expert/data scientist to strengthen the quantitative analytical capacities at the Tallinn centre and to collaborate with researchers across SEI in a wide range of projects including energy, transport, climate, health, urban environments, and disaster risk management. You will be responsible for building the ‘big data’ competence at SEI Tallinn and developing project ideas and proposals with novel data analysis approaches together with SEI experts from our key research areas.
While the position will belong to the Climate and Energy program/cluster with reporting to the Program Director, the Senior Research Expert is expected to work and support data analysis and modelling in other thematic areas.
The role entails both practical research, which involves in-depth project work with data analysis, as well as external relationship building, strategic development of the project pipeline and fundraising activities.
Your main responsibilities
- Lead, design and implement research and consultancy projects – in cooperation with SEI Tallinn experts – with a significant quantitative modelling component; preferably within energy, climate, transport, and disaster risk;
- Identify funding sources, contribute to fundraising, and seek to secure funding for projects;
- Deliver high-quality quantitative analysis in funded projects, contribute to the writing of reports, publications based on executed analysis, and where necessary lead the team of experts working on data analysis;
- Advise and supervise SEI Tallinn project teams engaged in research and capacity building on data analysis;
- Develop a network of experts to collaborate both within SEI and with outside researchers, decision-makers and partner organizations in our domain of projects;
- In collaboration with the Communication Manager, facilitate and support internal communications and outreach activities including presentations, speeches, dialogues and media articles; and
- Analyze and develop possibilities to further integrate the usage of tools and platforms developed by SEI into the research activities of the SEI Tallinn Centre.
Who you are
We are looking for a person with a Master’s or PhD degree in mathematics, operations research, engineering or equivalent. Most importantly, you possess excellent knowledge and solid experience in data modeling, ICT tools and big data sets in one of the key thematic areas of SEI Tallinn. You will need to have at least five years experience in a relevant full-time research/data analysis position.
Besides the qualifications mentioned above, you will need:
- proven track record of developing new projects and programmes;
- proven experience in fundraising for significant projects and liaising with funding agencies;
- experience in policy-relevant and interdisciplinary research;
- experience and proven ability to work with international, multi-disciplinary research teams;
- ability to prepare articles, briefs, working papers and other publications;
- excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills for both technical and public audiences; and
- fluency in spoken and written English.
As a person you need to have a natural willingness to participate in team work and collaborate on projects within your area of expertise. You have an ability to work independently and take accountability of your own deliveries. You enjoy building networks, communicating your ideas and influencing others with your research results. You have an innovative mindset, and entrepreneurship is an integral part of your work approach.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, but no later than the 29th of October. Please apply through the SEI website and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae or resume