Duties and Accountabilities:
The World Bank Group (WBG) is seeking to recruit a highly qualified Environmental Specialist to be based in the World Bank Country Office in Bujumbura, Burundi. The specialist will support the GP’s work on the application of environmental policy to Bank investment lending, including risk management and knowledge and learning initiatives. The Environmental Specialist will play an essential role in the application of the Bank’s environmental policies and in supporting the use of environmental assessments methodologies across a range of sectors and country contexts.
The Environmental Specialist will be part of a dynamic team of environment and natural resources management specialists working in the Global Practice. He/she will also provide technical expertise on a variety of environmental issues related to investment operations, including about adaptation to climate change, natural resources management and green and inclusive growth. S/he will support the Country Management Unit (CMU) in the implementation of the World Bank’s NRM program. More specifically S/he will be expected to:
a) Participate as team member in the preparation and/or supervision of environmental safeguards policy requirements in different Bank funded operations, including participating in identification missions; supporting implementation of safeguards policy requirements and seeking opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and policies in various investment operations; maintaining regular dialogue with the client and enhance their capacity on environmental policies; and contributing to the preparation of project documents.
b) Seek and develop opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and environment safeguards policies in different investment operations, participate as a team member in such operations and related analytical work, and enhance local capacities for implementing these policies.
c) Work under the coordination of the regional focal point on the environmental safeguards portfolio, providing oversight and quality assurance. This will include direct operational support to high risk and complex operations, and advising management and staff on responses, safeguards related complaints.
d) Help develop sustainable local and national consultation mechanisms and strategies, including providing technical guidance to support the implementation of revised safeguard policies with capacity building for national teams, consultants and stakeholders in government and NGOs.
e) Participate as a team member in the preparation and/or supervision of the activities related to the Landscape Restoration program. The duties will include participating and providing support in identification and supervision missions; supporting policy dialogue; maintaining regular dialogue with the client and development partners; and contributing to BTORs and Aide Memoires.
f) Serve as a natural resources specialist for the Burundi country office and engage actively and regularly with country units and teams, and identify business opportunities for the natural resources team in consultation with clients and country units.
g) Provide expert advice to client and counterpart organizations, project teams and GP management on technical natural resources management matters (with an emphasis in forests, biodiversity conservation and climate change themes);
h) Advise and assist TTL and task team in coordinating work products, dialogues and financing opportunities in consultation with development partners;
i) Lead or participate in analytical studies, support other analytical work on different natural resources management topics, and stay abreast of developments in natural resources management and climate change adaptation/mitigation and on cross-cutting issues.
j) Support and carry out other tasks as needed to advance the overall environment/NRM/climate change portfolio in Burundi.
In addition to meeting Bank-wide Grade GF level positions, it is expected that the successful candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
• Advanced degree (Masters or higher) in environmental economics, environmental science/engineering, natural resources management or related field, preferably with major in one or more of the following areas: environmental institutions or policy, environmental health or pollution, forestry, biodiversity or climate change.
• A minimum of 5 years of full-time relevant professional experience in the environment sector.
• Demonstrated skills in integrating landscape management approaches into a package of solutions to achieve development results;
• Demonstrated ability to lead discussions at the policy and operational levels in the following areas: environmental management, environmental sector policy, landscape restoration, community natural resources management or climate change mitigation or adaption;
• Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: environmental management, environmental sector policy, or integrated development planning or climate change mitigation or adaption, in various sectors (e.g., water supply and sanitation; transport, energy, natural disaster management, rural development, environmental pollution and health).
• Experience working in middle income countries; understanding of the institutional and political context and exposure to the national environmental policy challenges.
• International work experience would be an advantage.
• Proven teamwork and successful experience working with multi-disciplinary teams.
• Demonstrated project management / operational skills and familiarity with Bank procedures and business practices including occupational health and safety management and the WBG safeguard policies would be an advantage.
• Experience working with a wide range of stakeholders, NGOs, private sector international organizations, development partners and/or with the government will be an advantage.
• Fluency in French and English is required (writing, speaking, listening and reading).
• A strong sense of team work and ability to work independently with limited supervision;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Willingness to travel extensively across the region as necessary.
Competencies of Environmental Specialist:
• Knowledge and Experience in successfully applying the environmental safeguard policies and high risk projects, especially infrastructure projects, in sectors such as Agriculture, Energy, Transport, Urban and Water Infrastructure.
• Applies technical knowledge to integrate landscape approaches to complex development challenges to achieve concrete results.
• Environmental Policy, Strategy and Institutions – Basic understanding of environmental policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations, specially related to climate change.
• Environmental Sciences – Basic experience applying knowledge (air pollution and meteorology; soil science; water; ecosystems; conservation; agriculture concerns, etc.) to policy-related decisions and advice.
• Project Design for Impact and Sustainability – Contributes to the design of projects and programs, based on an understanding of the country and sector context.
• Sector Dialogue – IL – Contributes to dialogues with the client on familiar topics, with a narrow scope, based on a solid understanding of the sector.
• Operational Project Management – Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of project management tools & methodologies, as well as of Bank instruments and processes related to project preparation & implementation, resource management, and stakeholder communications.
• Strategic and Technical Analyses for Country/Sector Issues – Contributes to the formulation and implementation of complex analytical work and policy papers, leveraging relevant analytical tools and a grasp of issues surrounding policy and sector reform.
• Client Orientation – Demonstrates diplomacy, tact and sensitivity in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides inputs to develop evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
• Drive for Results – Provides inputs to efforts to identify and acquire resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and contributes to solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Participates in teams to achieve outcomes, provides inputs to team solutions and demonstrates good inter-personal skills for teamwork, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Contributes to sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Under direction of senior staff, gathers inputs, contributes to risk assessments, and provides information relevant to assessment of decisions affecting internal and external stakeholders.