Duties and Accountabilities:
ENR GP is seeking an Environmental Specialist to support and advance a dynamic and growing ENR program in the South Asia Region, with the focus on Bangladesh. The Bangladesh program is expanding, with a significant number of infrastructure, energy, transport, water, urban, agriculture and other projects that have environmental dimensions and impacts. The World Bank is also transitioning to a new Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) to guide its operations. The Specialist will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and assigned to the South Asia unit of ENR GP, GEN06 reporting to the respective Practice Manager based in Washington DC. The specialist will work closely with the Dhaka ENR team that currently consists of three staff, including the team coordinator who will provide day-to-day guidance and support.
The specialist would work in the following areas:
• Identifying, reviewing and appraising new Bank investment proposals and ensuring that environmental issues are properly addressed in project documents through project-specific environmental analysis which may include issues related to environmental assessments, natural habitats, forests, pest management, safety of dams, projects on international waterways, public consultations, and occupational health and safety;
• Providing implementation support to Bank operations related to environmental safeguard policies and project-specific environmental requirements;
• Providing expert guidance to borrowers/clients in the preparation and successful implementation of project environmental assessment instruments/documentation, including Terms of Reference for the preparation of environmental instruments, such as environmental impact/risk assessments, environmental management plans, environmental management frameworks;
• Seeking and developing opportunities to improve and integrate sound environmental management and policies in Bank operations, including improving environmental benefits and providing value-added service, and building capacity of relevant local clients and other stakeholders;
• Actively learning the new ESF, applying it to work Bank projects once it is effective, and helping other Bank teams and counterparts to successfully adopt new procedures and satisfy new requirements;
• Coordinating and sharing information with Bank staff and consultants while providing environmental risk management project support;
• Contributing as required to the broader work of ENR GP on improving environmental sustainability; identifying and pursuing innovative approaches to advance the environmental sustainability agenda;
• Collaborating within GP teams across regions and across GP Boundaries
• Leveraging GP’s expertise and body of knowledge to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions; and
• Seeking to learn from more experienced staff and helping others to learn;
• Participating in activities of the Dhaka Country Office, supporting the Country management team, when needed, and following country management guidance regarding office security and operations.
The specialist will be also expected to support other activities and programs of ENR GP in one or more of it business lines as needed. The selected candidate should be willing and able to travel to other countries within and outside SAR, including for training, as needed.
• A Master’s Degree in environmental sciences, engineering or other relevant discipline;
• A minimum of 5 years of full-time relevant experience including the preparation and/or review of project environmental impact assessments, environmental management plans, capacity assessment and institutional strengthening, public consultation plans, health and safety management/plans, emergency/contingency plans, or other related project environmental plans/studies;
• Knowledge and experience related to environmental impact assessment and management in some of the key areas of economic activity with significant environmental implications (i.e. water supply and sanitation, water resource management, energy, transport, urban development, natural disaster management, and agriculture and rural development).
• Understanding of the environmental regulatory and institutional framework in South Asian countries, Bangladesh in particular.
• Familiarity and experience with Bank environmental safeguard policies and procedures (environmental assessments, natural habitats, pest management, forests, physical cultural resources, and safety of dams) is a plus;
• Preferably experience in multilateral financial institution operations;
• Proven ability to exercise sound judgments in a work environment with tight processing constraints
• Ability to effectively communicate and provide guidance to Bank and clients’ teams;
• Excellent writing and communication skills in both local language and English.