Duties and Accountabilities:
Working under the supervision of the GP Manager, and in direct collaboration with specified Task Team Leaders (TTLs), the successful candidate will support the Water team’s work in Tanzania by:
• Contributing to project preparation as necessary, including a variety of operational tasks, including but not limited to technical analyses, participation in the design and development of specific project components, defining project implementation arrangements, coordinating inputs into project documentation and processing as well as participating in loan negotiations;
• Participating in project supervision, including day to day monitoring, field supervision, review of procurement plans, assessing progress with meeting key project outcomes and indicators and contributing to supervision documentation, Trust Fund status reports, Implementation Status Report (ISR) and Implementation Completion Reports (ICR);
• Reviewing detailed engineering designs, costs and procurement documents and providing input into drafting of no objection letters to clients based on the outcomes of the review;
• Contributing to the promotion of appropriate technologies with low costs in the water/sanitation sector;
• Developing terms of reference for consultancy services for a range of tasks related to projects and analytical work;
• Supporting the preparation of AAA/TA and knowledge deliverables in the water/ sanitation sectors, through research, analysis and writing;
• Providing technical support to the task teams, as needed. Liaising closely and coordinating the water/sanitation activities with other GPs and the Tanzania Country Management Unit (CMU) as well with bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors and international institutions to further strengthen partnerships; and
• Monitor and provide advisory support for the adherence to World Bank’s operational policies and quality requirements in technical and fiduciary due diligence. In addition, the candidate will contribute to development of new projects and the mobilization of resources and expertise for their realization.
The candidate will be expected to working independently with guidance on complex projects/issues from senior specialists.
• A minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience, and Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Broad-based work experience and thorough knowledge of supply and sanitation; ability to develop, analyze and articulate project related issues; and a demonstrated ability to diagnose problems and propose reliable solutions.
• Practical experience of working closely with line ministries in client countries, or with multilateral and bilateral agencies in the country.
• A broad understanding of Tanzania’s water and sanitation sector policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations relevant to operational or analytical work; demonstrated credible and effective engagement with water institutions to support operational and analytical work outcomes; and support client efforts to address weaknesses in its policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
• A solid track record of conducting effective policy dialogue with state counterparts, including communication on difficult issues and positions with senior management and government officials.
• Proven ability to integrate and bridge between operational and technical assistance programs.
• Exceptional written and oral communications skills in English.
• Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
• Policy Dialogue Skills – Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
• Integrative Skills – Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector.
• Client Orientation – Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
• Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work