Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
• People – People first. People second. People third.
• Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
• Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
• Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
• Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
This position offers a unique opportunity to contribute to the growth of an innovative, entrepreneurial organization seeking to scale its impact in Asia and Africa. The Senior Manager of Finance manages financial activities including forecasting, reporting and budgeting, oversight of day to day accounting and finance activities, and overseeing compliance and recognition of grants. S/he will also collaborate closely with the management team regarding the organization’s global finance strategy, and will work regularly with country directors and country finance staff. This position directly manages one staff member (Staff Accountant) as well as providing guidance and mentoring for three finance team members in international offices. Splash envisions this role growing over time as we continue to scale our impact and develop additional partnerships, funding sources and social enterprise models.
Qualified candidates will bring experience with budgets, accounting, annual audits, controller functions, and financial analysis. In addition, this position requires experience collaborating across teams and with non-finance professionals, to support informed decision making for all departments and program areas. The process and systems rigor required for this position will be balanced by freedom to bring new ideas to the table and flexibility to pivot in accordance with evolving strategic goals.
- Provide accurate and timely information in a clear and concise format to support informed decision making across the organization
- Lead the process of developing the annual budget, in collaboration with the leadership team and country directors.
- Assess organizational performance against the annual budget, grant budgets, and Splash’s long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and manage systems to provide critical financial information to the leadership team.
- Monitor cash flow and ensure appropriate planning and availability of funds.
- Produce timely financial statements and tax filings and manage the annual audit process.
- Provide information to support discussions among the finance committee of the board of directors regarding short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance of all financial functions.
- Maintain, enhance and monitor internal controls for both domestic and overseas offices that will scale with Splash’s growth.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit finance best practices and state and federal laws regarding nonprofit operations.
- Manage and develop the Staff Accountant, and provide mentoring and guidance to finance staff in country offices.
- Be willing and able to travel in the US or internationally on an occasional basis (1-2 times per year)
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire, and will be in the mid range for comparable positions at a small non-profit organization. Splash provides generous benefits including paid time off, medical, dental, and vision, as well as a 401k plan.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
Splash is seeking an accounting professional with at least 7 years of experience including at least 2 years of experience with an international nonprofit. Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field; CPA strongly preferred. This position requires experience developing annual budgets and financial models, as well as audits, forecasting, and reporting.
Candidates should also bring a strong understanding and working knowledge of non-profit accounting, restricted grants, reporting, and regulations, as well as strong analytical skills combined with creativity and strategic thinking.
Desired Attributes Include
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, highly creative, entrepreneurial environment.
- You are an inspiring leader and are effective at mentoring and motivating others.
- You enjoy making time for personal connections (perhaps through office ping-pong battles).
- You are an effective communicator at all levels in an organization, with excellent verbal and written skills.
- You possess an extremely high level of trustworthiness, integrity, and work ethic.
- You have excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, as well as organization skills.
- You love collaboration as well as working independently.
- You have a deep commitment to and interest in Splash’s mission.