The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Our aim is to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the region. To do this we bring together researchers, practitioners, and policy makers from the HKH and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional collaboration. ICIMOD delivers impact through its six Regional Programmes of Adaptation to Change, Transboundary Landscapes, River Basins, Cryosphere and Atmosphere, Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and Himalayan University Consortium. These regional programmes are supported by the four Thematic Areas of Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions and strengthened by Knowledge Management and Communication. ICIMOD seeks to reduce poverty and vulnerability and improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain women and men, now and in the future.
ICIMOD is looking for a Programme Officer for one of its programmes/initiative. Please see www.icimod.org for more details about the initiatives within ICIMOD. The Programme Officer is expected to support the Programme Coordinator with the coordination, monitoring and evaluation, and project management of a multi-country, multi-annual initiative.
Responsibilities and tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, in close cooperation with the Initiative team and under the overall guidance of the Regional Programme Manager, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Proactively support the Programme Coordinator in the coordination and management of all activities of the initiative and in keeping oversight of the project management cycle
- Monitoring of the programme activities and budget including those of key partners using given templates and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) database in close collaboration with Finance & Administration Unit and the Strategic Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation (SPM&E) Unit
- Coordination of initiative activities, such as partnership management, communication, event and programme management
- Preparation of draft progress reports for donors
- Regular and timely follow up with the partners on their contracts, reports and deliverables
- Review and summarize partners’ reports in relation to contractual agreements
- Support the Programme Coordinator in management of all initiative activities according to initiative documents, project management cycle, work plans and partner agreements
- Provide support in monitoring, review and evaluation of initiative activities, including tracking partners’ progress using given M&E templates in close collaboration with SPM&E Unit
- Support the Programme Coordinator in timely collection, review, and compilation of partners’ progress reports and financial statements
- Prepare consolidated draft progress reports, both financial and technical, and any other required reports
- Monitor the programme budget, track programme expenditure within the relevant unit, and give feedback on over and under spending to Programme Coordinator and component leads within the initiative
- Provide relevant budget calculations and input to annual budgeting plans
- Ensure that funds are transferred on time to the relevant stakeholders and partners
- Coordinate regular meetings and flow of information with the initiative’s component leads and core team members
- Ensure timely communication with stakeholders and partner institutions and provide timely and appropriate information as needed
- Manage the allocation of programme resources (human, financial, and material) in close coordination with the Programme Coordinator
- Take minutes of meetings and prepare workshop reports
- Coordinate events, conferences, and workshops
- Represent the Programme Coordinator at project meetings and workshops as and when required
- Assist in any other issues as and when required by the Programme Coordinator
- Master’s in Business Administration, Financial Management or Environmental Science, Social Science, International Relations with a background in project management, monitoring & evaluation and communication
- Experience working in international organizations focusing on large-scale environmentaldevelopment projects
- Minimum 2 years of experience supporting the coordination of development projects or similar
- Exceptional candidates with a proven track record during their studies and in previous jobs with less experience may also be considered.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental and social issues in mountain areas
- A high level of report writing skills in English and excellent analytical skills with an ability to understand and contextualise research results
- Excellent MS Office skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as good working understanding of any one of data management software
- Content Knowledge: Basic knowledge of social development processes in the context of socioeconomic, environmental and climate change and the conservation of ecosystem services
- Financial Management, Monitoring & Evaluation and Coordination: Ability to manage time and priorities, understanding of the project cycle management, including operational planning, monitoring, evaluation and budgeting
- Networking & Stakeholder Management and Communications: Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders about operational issues through telephone, email and face-to-face meetings; respond quickly to emails, and maintain cordial relationships; manage web based communications
- Impact & Results Orientation: Proactive approach for the smooth organization of internal processes; ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline, and self-motivation
- Social/Team Competency: Ability to work smoothly and effectively with others in the team to establish constructive ideas or solutions that meet the team objective
- Flexibility: Ability to easily adapt to changing contexts, technologies, and approaches when necessary; desire to make improvements in own work area
- Report Writing: Ability to contribute to the preparation and consolidation of progress reports
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 15 Oct 2017 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.