DRC is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
In Uganda, DRC assists the refugees from neighboring countries mainly DR Congo and South Sudan in the South West, West and West Nile region of the country. DRC’s assistance to refugees have been both emergency assistance to address the short term influxes from the neighboring countries as well as to address the sustainable solutions for the refugees. DRC is also the lead of a Consortium (Save the Children, ZOA, and CEFORD) for implementation of an EU Trust Fund project in Adjumani, Kiryandongo and Rhino camp
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Lead engineering activities during feasibility studies, technical design and construction works and Supervise / monitor contractors
- Support WASH plans and implementation activities with technical support.
- Contributes to preparation and planning of projects and provide input for new proposals.
- Maintains good relationships with local authorities, UNHCR and other organizations and actors linking to the relevant sector.
- Responsible for providing technical guidance and oversight resulting in quality construction and Materials supply.
- Ensure that all project activities are in accordance with budgets available and being Implemented on schedule.
- Prepare Assessments, Documentation and Project design including BOQs.
- Take part in the strategic planning, scheduling, monitoring and assessments, and evaluation of the DRC Wash projects
- Ensure documentation of project progress is on-going and integrate sound M&E procedures in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure implementation of capacity building sessions in each community for the construction teams covering environmental issues related to construction
- Creatively solve problems that arise with communities and local authorities in providing Wash Solutions.
- Make sure that all DRC procurement and logistics policies are followed during the wash activities implementation.
Ensure that Wash activities are carried out in accordance with national quality, norms and standards provided by government and International agencies.
Timely reporting, on a monthly basis, regarding all Wash activities in line with donor requirements
Participate in collection of useful data, success stories and beneficiaries list as required.
Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights reports and proposals and budget for donors.
Perform compliance inspection of new construction(s) which pertains to the settlements water distribution system to determine that all fittings are installed and in accordance with prescribed standards, plans and specifications.
Carry out minor and majors repairs and installation of new materials, supplies, machinery and/or equipment
- Conduct water testing and advise accordingly and come up with solution where need be to improve on quality.
- Carry out Jar test for water treatment and advice on the quantity of chemicals to be dossed during water treatment.
- Work closely with the VHTs and ensure their full participation in Hygiene Promotion.
- Supervise team of water technicians and Wash assistants.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum of three years’ experience in coordination or managing of WASH programming and implementation in emergency setting.
- Strong knowledge and experience in engineering and construction project with related processes like tendering of works, monitoring of construction sites.
- Knowledge and experience in GIS/GPS
- good work experience in post-conflict WASH intervention
- Familiarity with the SPHERE Project and Minimum Standards and Uganda WASH standards.
- Have Leadership and supervisory skills and ability to foster team spirit.
- Strong organizational skills and able to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and mediation skills and ability to work independently.
- Good report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets. Skills in technical drawings software (preferably AutoCAD) software are desirable.
- Proven experience with community construction works of water and sanitation facilities.
- Good understanding of sanitation promotional approaches such CLTS, PHAS, Umoja and Child to Child etc
- Positive and open personality
- Good interpersonal and good Command of Kiswahili and English.
- Computer skills and reporting skills
- Motorbike driving license (Must)
- Good communication, writing and facilitation skills
Applications should be in English and include the following:
A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
Please send your Cover letter, CV and Academic certificates by email to [email protected] by 3rd October 2017 5:00pm clearly indicating position name in the subject line. We thank applicants for their interest in the position however; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted