The International Economic Growth Division manages projects that are pioneering new approaches to agriculture, food security, climate change, and competitiveness—as well as monitoring and evaluating projects within these sectors. We work throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East for chiefly governmental clients, including the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the Inter-American Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the World Bank and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Climate Risk Integration and Disaster Risk Reduction Expert for the anticipated Water and Energy Sectors project in the Philippines.
The Climate Risk Integration and Disaster Risk Reduction Expert for the Water and Energy Sectors is responsible for overseeing the implementation of project activities, management of project staff, and coordination with partner organizations related to improving the resilience of the water and energy sectors in the Philippines to climate change and disaster risks. S/he will lead strategic planning and implementation related to climate risk integration and DRR activities, which may include assessing climate change vulnerabilities; developing climate and disaster risk management strategies; and integrating climate and disaster risk reduction measure into plans, programs and activities for the water and/or energy sectors. S/he will also coordinate and maintain working relationships with project stakeholders (including ministries, high-level government officials, private sector partners), and collaborate with local partners to strengthen government and stakeholder capacities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage country-level project operations related to climate risk integration and disaster risk reduction in the water and/or energy sectors
- Assist in the development of annual planning and timely, high quality implementation of activities and deliverables
- Serve as lead technical advisor providing guidance and oversight to staff and partners
- Lead, coordinate, and supervise multi-disciplinary teams of experts and partners
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with national and local counterparts to ensure effective coordination of project activities with relevant ministries and agencies, civil society and private sector organizations, international donor institutions, various project stakeholders, and other USAID and U.S. government-funded initiatives
- Lead and manage monitoring and evaluation of project implementation and deliverables related to climate risk integration and disaster risk reduction in the water and/or energy sectors
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Minimum of 5-10 years demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: assessing climate change vulnerabilities; developing climate and disaster risk management strategies; and/or integrating climate and disaster risk reduction measure into plans, programs and activities for the water and/or energy sectors.
- Experience managing or implementing USAID-funded or other donor-funded projects is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required; fluency in Tagalog strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of social, economic, legislative, environmental, and cultural context of the Philippines. Experience living or working in the Philippines strongly preferred.
- University degree in a relevant field required. Advanced degree preferred.
(6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.