We are looking for talented interns, interested in pursuing a humanitarian career
The Technical (WASH) intern aims to assess the sustainbility and good practices of improvement of access of water of vulnerable populations through the rehabilitation and construction of water points in Yobe and Brono State in Nigeria mission.
The Technical Intern will perform the activities with the existing team in Nigeria (mainly with the WASH team). The intern will be primariy responsible for:
- Review of Action Against Hunger-USA water point designs for technical specifications, safety, access, compliance to national standards.
- Identification of reliable borehole drilling contractors from Action Against Hunger’s experience as well as other NGOs and stakeholders from Borno and Yobe State.
- Focusing on review of secondary data and documents, primary data collection in the communities, and discussion with other NGOs and stakeholders.
- Responsible for cleaning all quantitative and qualitative data.
- Presenting findings and recommendations to the Action Against Hunger-USA Nigieria WASH Team
- Responsible to lead the project under direct supervision from WASH Head of Department, with field management of enumerators
Do you meet the profile required criteria ?
- Ongoing advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) related to Water Sanitation & Higiene, engineering, public health work or related to international assistance.
- Ability to plan and deliver work to agreed deadlines with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of water supply, operation and maintenance, and community mobilization
- Basic knowledge on usage of ODK/KOBO a plus
- Experience in developing countries highly desirable
- Flexibility and adaptability, commitment to respect security rules and to represent the best image of the organization while in the field.
- Working proficiency in English compulsory. Knowledge of Hausa a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective relationships in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) in English
- Flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
- Diplomatic and culturally sensitive
- Good analytical, research and negotiation skills.
- Action Against Hunger will support accommodation and study implementation in country, but candidates are encouraged to seek their own funding to facilitate flights, lodging and food.
- The intern will be able to use the regular Action Against Hunger program transport and movements of cars to do the primary data collection.
- Action Against Hunger will provide enumerators / translator, and support will be provided by program teams.
- Action Against Hunger will support the visa
- The intern will need to have active health insurance, and cover visa costs and flight travel. S/He will also need to bring his or her own computer. Action Against Hunger will support visa process.