World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address six critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water and sustainable cities.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges,and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $100 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of nearly 700 people with work spanning 50 countries. We have offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States.
WRI’s Sustainable Finance Center focuses on shifting public and private capital toward low carbon and climate-resilient development and away from activities that harm people and the environment. We achieve this vision by pursuing work in two areas:
- Greening critical global and developing country financial institutions
- Scaling financial solutions for sustainable development
As Associate, you will help lead and manage the Sustainable Finance Center’s research agenda, with a special focus on our work greening private finance. This involves research on the role of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors in asset values and portfolio management; on the needs of asset owners and asset managers seeking to ESG data for investment decisions; and on the measurement, management, and disclosure of climate risk. You will work with institutional investors – primarily asset owners, but also managers, consultants and others in the industry – to scale sustainable investing strategies and practices.
Responsibilities may include:
- Develop tools for investors to bring more WRI research and data into investor decision-making processes.
- Work across WRI with other program areas to bring WRI expertise to investors.
- Represent WRI’s Sustainable Investing Initiative externally at conferences, small-group meetings and in other high-profile settings.
- Utilize the experience of investing WRI’s own endowment, which serves as a living case study and resource for WRI to scale sustainable investing solutions broadly.
- Graduate degree in related discipline (business, finance, environment and/or social science) or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent research, analytical and writing capabilities
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the financial services industry and the US and/or European investment landscape
- Substantial industry and investment-focused research experience with solid grasp of the challenges and opportunities around the implementation of ESG issues
- Financial literacy (e.g., balance sheet, income statement, cash flows) and modeling skills
- Knowledge of industry best practices related to integrating sustainable investment and of methodologies to integrate ESG factors into financial analysis (including, preferably, knowledge of environmental data and geo-related data)
- Previous experience analyzing and managing ESG issues in an investment context
- Ability to take initiative and lead work with many parties across WRI – and strong desire to play this leadership role
- Comfortable communicating between investors outside WRI, WRI sustainable investing team, and WRI data and technical experts across the institute
A successful candidate will demonstrate excellent research and writing skills in English and the ability to work effectively in teams.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must apply online at careers.wri.org to be considered.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI’s policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.