UNDP Armenia is looking for a highly qualified professional in Environmental management field to take over coordination of programme and develop portfolio of projects under the Sustainable Management of Natural Resources Programme of the Sustainable Growth and Resilience Portfolio.
Major components of the programme area will mainly include: (i) Ecosystem services/protection measures; (ii) Land degradation/land use/sustainable land management; (iii) Biodiversity conservation and sustainable use (iv) Water resources management /basin management, including transboundary; (v) Waste governance/waste management; (vi) Forestry; (vii) Community based natural resource management schemes and practices (at watershed level as well); (viii) Sector related activities in line with Climate change impact and adaptation; (ix) Policy Instruments and tools (Environmental assessment, Standards, labeling, Taxes, etc.); (x) National Environmental Policy Development and Reforms, innovative Approaches and Solutions for Implementation of Existing polices.
Under direct supervision of the Sustainable Growth and Resilience Portfolio Analyst, Programme Manager will be responsible for development and implementation of organization policy and strategy, planning, and coordination of activities.
The incumbent, within its mandate, will work closely with UNDP operation and programme/project staff in country office and HQ, Government officials, international team of technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, international and civil society organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of Programme Manager will include:
- Provide knowledge-driven policy advice to address environmental issues in the field of Sustainable Management of Natural Resources.
- Assume full responsibility for and coordinates effectively and efficiently all project activities and resources (human, financial, physical / material assets, etc) under the Sustainable Management of Natural Resources programme in order to meet expected results. Coordinate development of annual activities and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected year-end outputs; ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements, including signing payment requests and certification issues.
- Build, motivate and lead a high performing team consisting of project managers and task leaders, expert, consultants. Undertake personnel performance appraisals and career development coaching at project level.
- Contribute to the set up of a functional interaction among the decision makers and the general public through the analytical tools for enhancing local autonomy, legality, own and delegated authorities – all set forth on an agenda focused on efficient environmental governance issues;
- Provide substantive research input; accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information to ensure proper policy advice and programme implementation;
- Promote information sharing with the relevant donors community by initiating and/or participating in consultative meetings with the donors and preparing briefs on local/regional development progress and activities;
- Identify and analyse programme area related development trends, ongoing processes and initiatives in the country, deliver analytical papers, reports and informative bulletin. Contribute to country assessment and priority identification process for further programme development.
- Provide guidance and technical expertise on formulation of strategic directions in Sustainable Management of Natural Resources, contribute and coordinate development of project respective proposals.
- Conduct programme/project budget planning, analyses, monitoring of budget disbursements; Control financial input delivery and planned outputs of the programme as per project documents and ensure timely submission of financial reports by respective Project Managers;
- Coordinate programme/project staff effectively within UNDP policies and procedures. Produces terms of references for Experts/consultants/project staff.
- Provide recommendations for specific training needs and other personnel capacity building initiatives.
- Liaise with the Government, regional and local authorities, civil society organizations to ensure participatory approach and partnership building for Programme activities development and implementation;
- Provides substantive inputs in the activities of steering committees, multi-stakeholder commissions, expert groups or other coordinating bodies in related practice areas upon request;
- Ensure Resource Mobilization and Partnership Building: Maintain and animate effective dialogue with partners and among stakeholders. Engage with relevant donors and ensure resource mobilization of the SGR portfolio.
- Actively cooperate with other programme/project staff in UNDP CO to ensure proper coordination and information exchange;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Demonstrates a passion and energy for development projects
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- • Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental science, management and policy or related development studies.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments. Experience with management of GEF funded projects is an asset.
- Proven experience in negotiating with international donors and professional organizations on programme development and resource mobilization; Understanding and direct experience in programme and project budgeting and financial reporting is required. Experience of working in international organization is an asset.
- Good knowledge of environmental policy and institutional framework of Armenia and the Caucasus region, understanding of environmental problems and environmental agenda in the country and globally.
- Good analytical skills, ability to identify issues, develop clear goals that are consistent with defined agreed strategies, identify priority activities in the context of assignments; manages conflicting priorities as required and remains calm in stressful situations; Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work within strict time frames.
- Good communication skills. Ability to present ideas clearly and concisely both verbal and in writing.
- Team leadership, good interpersonal skills and ability to build partnership. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; is willing to learn from others and provide back-up as and when required; places team agenda before personal agenda; Demonstrated initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility and discretion; Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment is required. Readiness to learn about the UN in general and UNDP in particular; capacity to take initiative and good judgment in understanding of her/his responsibilities.
- Ability to travel across the country and abroad when required.
- English and Armenian are the working languages of the UNDP Country office. For advertised post, fluency in verbal and written English and Armenian is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an asset.
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software package (MS Word, Excel, and Power Point). Competency in the web based management systems (Internet, Intranet), as well as usage of other office equipment.