SNV is a non-profit international development organization established in the Netherlands in 1965. For more than 50 years, SNV has been at the forefront of development, helping to build local capacity and empower families and communities to break the cycle of poverty. We operate in 38 developing nations in Africa, Asia and Latin America and employ innovative, market-led poverty alleviation in Agriculture & Food Security, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH). Our more than 1,000 advisors in the field come from a variety of cultural and technical backgrounds, and more than 80 percent are nationals of the countries where we work. SNV USA is the organization’s United States-based 501(c)(3) affiliate connecting North American partners to SNV’s implementation capacity around the world.
For more information, please visit: www.snv.org
SNV currently seeks a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Expert for an anticipated USAID-funded Scaling Up Nutrition Technical Assistance (SUN-TA) program in Zambia. The goal of the project is to reduce stunting in children. The SUN-TA program is expected to provide targeted, high impact technical assistance coupled with direct implementation to reduce stunting in 30 districts in Zambia with the potential to increase the geographic scope in future years.
The WASH Expert will oversee the implementation of WASH activities as stipulated in the scope of work and give guidance on implementation and results. This position will be responsible for sectoral leadership in WASH. The WASH Expert will report to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) and will work closely and collaboratively with the senior project team. S/he will be primarily responsible for ensuring that strategies to increase access to safe water supply, the use of improved sanitation facilities and improve hygiene behaviors are technically sound, up-to-date, of proven efficiency, and able to be implemented in local settings. S/he will ensure development of detailed implementation plans, collection of appropriate baseline and monitoring data, as needed, clear process and impact indicators, and effective project monitoring and evaluation procedures to ensure accountability and make improvements in children’s lives. The expert will also guarantee timely and accurate donor reporting as well as seek to continuously improve programs and initiate new project implementation.
- Minimum of MSc/Master’s in Civil Engineering, Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Management, Public Health, Social Scienceor qualifications that demonstrate relevance to WASH project management;
- Demonstrated progressive experience with increasing responsibility focused on community led behavior change and infrastructure development/maintenance approaches such as Community Led Total Sanitation, Decentralized Waste Management Systems, Rural Water Self Supply, Water Kiosk management, public health concepts, etc. in rural and peri urban areas reducing health risks at household and community levels for affected populations in the areas of WASH;
- Demonstrated progressive experience in providing technical expertise to host government institutions and private sector partners from national to sub-district levels for the areas of WASH service provision;
- Strong knowledge of the key issues related to the Zambian water sector as well as related organizational development, program/project development issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and teamwork required to establish and maintain a wide range of working-level contacts with key stakeholders in rural water supply and sanitation programs of other organizations active in WASH.
- Familiarity and understanding of USAID policies and procedures, or those of other donors;
- Fluent oral and strong analytical, written English communications skills required;
- Extensive work experience in Zambia (local candidates strongly encouraged to apply).
2 years with possibility of extension
Desired start date:
This position is contingent on award, anticipated award date is 05/2018
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter, your CV, and three referees all in English before October 1st, 2017.
SNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SNV encourages applications from qualified persons of every race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, and disability.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted