FAO’s Subregional Office for the Mashreq countries (SNM) is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). It assists the FAO Representatives (FAORs) in the subregion with addressing subregional food security, agriculture and rural development issues at country level. The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO’s Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE).
The post is located in the Subregional Office for the Mashreq countries in Beirut, Lebanon.
The Natural Resources Officer reports to the Subregional Coordinator under the functional guidance of the Climate and Environment Division (CBC) and other technical divisions as the case may be, and works in close contact with the Regional Programme Leader (RPL) based in RNE.
Planning and implementation and resource mobilization for climate change activities for agriculture, forestry and fisheries to provide necessary support to member countries of the Sub region for integrated planning, implementation, M-E and reporting of climate change, sustainability and energy – environment activities in the framework of FAO’s Common Vision for Sustainable Food and Agriculture.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of Subregional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with Regional objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services, in close collaboration with the RPL, RNE;
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with FAO’s Corporate strategy in collaboration with the RPL based in RNE, and with the Resource Mobilization Division (TCR).
• Provides technical and policy guidance and support to member countries of the Sub region on NAP, NAMA, NDC, DRR/DRM preparation, revision and implementation;
• Leads on the identification, design, formulation and implementation of projects and programmes to address CCAM in the countries of the subregion;
• Supports FAORs to link national authorities responsible for climate change and climate finance with agriculture authorities. To facilitate integration, programing and financing of appropriate climate change adaptation and mitigation (CCAM) actions;
• Liaises with relevant regional and subregional institutions and organizations to advance national and Organizational objectives on climate change and agriculture;
• Contributes to the development of a regional climate change model for anticipating changes in climate variables in supporting the on-going initiative RICCAR to assess the vulnerability of water resources to climate change and other relevant initiatives;
• Oversees delivery of the FAO Climate Change Strategy at Subregional level;
• Coordinates dissemination of tools, guidance and information and provision of specialized technical support on various aspects of climate change and agriculture to countries in close collaboration with headquarters and Regional Office staff.