Reports to: Director of Business Development & Investor Relations
Location: Kansas City, MO
Effective: June 29, 2017
WaterEquity is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operating for-profit social impact investment funds. We are building on the decades of experience and success of Water.org, and building the market between social impact investors and enterprises serving water and sanitation needs among the world’s poor. By tapping into global capital markets, we can unlock the ability to scale and accelerate solutions that have the potential to end the global water crisis in our lifetime. Visit us to find out more at http://waterequity.org/.
The Communications Manager at WaterEquity will lead the execution of all communications and marketing initiatives. The Communications Manager must have strong experience transforming complex concepts into understandable, compelling, and impactful marketing and communications collateral and initiatives. With excellent writing, digital, and story-telling experience, along with a strong appetite for innovation and the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, the Communications Manager will execute WaterEquity’s communications and marketing strategies and plans.
Reporting to the Director of Business Development & Investor Relations, the Communications Manager will play a critical role in enabling WaterEquity to develop and maintain a world-class brand and value proposition among key audiences. This is a story deeply aligned with Water.org, and one that is focused on innovation, empowerment of the base of the economic pyramid (BOP), human dignity, and scalable impact. The Communications Manager will execute a strategy that supports WaterEquity’s capital raising objectives among a broad spectrum of investors and philanthropists, including both retail and accredited investors. This position will also work closely with the Business Development & Investor Relations team to identify strategic and relevant conference and media opportunities, including developing and executing a strong social media strategy and campaigns.
This role is an opportunity for an individual deeply committed to addressing global inequality and the global water crisis, and with a relentless drive to deliver results. Ideal candidates will have a track record of success as a communications professional, team player, strategic thinker, and storyteller. The ideal candidate will also have a passion and commitment to WaterEquity’s mission and values.
Planning and Execution
- Manage and execute WaterEquity’s communications strategy and efforts. This includes all PR, media, and social media, including writing press releases, and managing and executing social media campaigns and efforts. Working in an entrepreneurial environment, the Communications Manager will execute a strategy that will build a world-class brand, positioning, and identity for WaterEquity.
- Develop critical messaging, marketing and communication collateral and materials, and a social media strategy and campaigns for a broad spectrum of investor audiences and forward-thinking philanthropists. Investor audiences will include: foundations, ultra-high net-worth individuals, investment banks and funds, corporations, development finance institutions, and retail investors.
- Align these efforts with WaterEquity’s branding and positioning strategy, identifying key opportunities and developing briefings for WaterEquity’s leadership team ahead of conference and PR opportunities.
- Identify key conferences, platforms, and networks within the social impact investing and international development communities that WaterEquity should be a part of and participate in to share insights and lessons learned. Build and manage strong long-term relationships with these critical stakeholders, enabling WaterEquity to contribute to and shape the global dialogue regarding the role social impact investing must play in meeting the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Collaborating with Water.org; create, oversee, and execute an effective and efficient process for surfacing, collecting, developing, and publishing stories from the field; ensuring these are shared in an optimal and compelling manner with key audiences. She/he will have a strong ability to manage and collaborate with talent across different teams, cultures, and outsourced organizations that are responsible for developing video and online tools is essential.
- Manage marketing and fundraising efforts for WaterEquity’s retail investor platform and initiative(s). Create experiences that uniquely amplify WaterEquity’s message and draw partners to us in a deep and meaningful way.
- Manage ongoing relationships with outsourced firms.
- Periodically evaluate and refine WaterEquity’s current marketing and communications efforts to create a much stronger connection to and relationship with the WaterEquity brand, and the values it represents across diverse investor and donor audiences.Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of Water.org’s and WaterEquity’s theory of change and scaling strategy, footprint, structure, and unique selling points in markets where we work.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Builds Networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Cultivates Innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Resourcefulness – Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Action Oriented – Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, journalism, communications, and/or business or equivalent experience. Master’s Degree preferred.
- 8 years of successful experience in communications; a blend of private, social, and/or non-profit sector experience is preferred
- Demonstrated flexibility and success in rapidly changing environments.
- Demonstrated ability to grow and scale a social entrepreneurial organization, or enterprise.
- Strong experience working with digital media and platforms, including key social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Linked In. Successful track record executing social media campaigns.
- Ability to digest complex, international development and water supply & sanitation (WSS) finance information at a fast pace, and transform into understandable and compelling communication / pitching and marketing documents. The ideal candidate must be comfortable with sophisticated financial products and committed to translating the complexity of WaterEquity’s efforts into a compelling and easy to understand story.
- Highly creative, humble, comfortable with ambiguity, and interested in big thorny questions.
No travel expected.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.