Reports to: April Davies, Senior Regional Manager – Latin America and Jennifer Iverson, Portfolio Manager – Latin America
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil with potential for domestic travel
Effective: Aug. 1, 2017
663 million people – about one in ten – lack access to safe water. 2.4 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
Water.org performed a market assessment and has identified Brazil as a new country to establish a WaterCredit program. Water.org has explored the landscape in Brazil for the past year, conducted due diligence on several partners, and is ready to pilot WaterCredit in Brazil with these initial partners.
The WaterCredit Consultant will be responsible for providing general support in Brazil to the Portfolio Manager in the pilot phase of WaterCredit. Activities may include coordination of workshops, technical assistance, stakeholder engagement, due diligence on potential partners and general support on the implementation of the pilot phase of WaterCredit in Brazil.
Duration: 5 months (August – December 2017)
The position will report on a regular basis to the Senior Regional Manager – Latin America (based in Kansas City). This person will also work closely with Jennifer Iverson, Portfolio Manager – Latin America (Kansas City & São Paulo).
The assignment will require frequent interaction with counterparts in financial institutions, WSS suppliers, government programs, product manufacturers and related stakeholders. Travel within Brazil will be required to accomplish the responsibilities of this project.
The WaterCredit Consultant is expected to communicate regularly with the Water.org team, and document progress toward country objectives. Activities may include:
- Provide WSS technical assistance to Water.org’s WaterCredit programs in pilot phase, including acting as a knowledge resource for partners engaged in the following activities: market demand study, product development, capacity-building, sales and marketing planning and materials, monitoring and evaluation among other activities key to the successful implementation of a WaterCredit pilot
- Support monitoring of partner programs including regular correspondence with partners and review of monthly and quarterly financial, activity and portfolio reports
- Assist Water.org in gathering information from partners and general market information for donor reports and assist in preparing donor reports
- Identify the institutional needs required for partners of WaterCredit programs to succeed
- Anticipate difficulties/challenges and work with partners to mitigate their impacts
- Assist in developing terms of reference, solicit, and manage consultancy engagements
- Engage and cooperate with stakeholders such as local and national government, WSS providers, product manufacturers, universities, financial institutions, private sector companies and institutes, civil society organizations and other local stakeholders
- Participate in donor visits as well as WSS, microfinance, social finance and related events
- Keep Water.org staff apprised on trends, news and events in Brazil on the topics of WSS, microfinance, government programs and related topics as they pertain to the WaterCredit program
Required qualifications and experience
- Brazilian citizen or non-Brazilian with Permanent Residency (RNE) with minimum five years’ experience living full-time in Brazil
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; relevant Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience managing projects and tracking activities and expenditures against work-plan and budget
- Experience in social financial markets and base of the pyramid populations
- Familiarity with the activities required for loan product development, lot and scale
- Familiarity with WSS programs which may include the household, community or other level
- Proven ability to effectively design and manage technical assistance or capacity building programs, particularly in the financial or WSS sectors
- Familiarity with current initiatives to increase access to water and sanitation in Brazil
- Experience with donor-funded international development initiatives
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in Portuguese
- Ability to communicate fluently in English – Written and Oral
- Innovative mind-set oriented toward constructive problem-solving and collaboration with stakeholders from various sectors
- Exceptional organizational skills, proactivity, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities
- Ability to travel within Brazil
Timing of the project
The consultancy project requires approximately 20 hours per week. The project will last approximately 5 months and is expected to start on August 3, 2017 and end on December 23, 2017. Upon satisfactory performance and continued funding this project may be extended.
The Consultant will be paid a monthly fixed rate for a fixed number of hours. Reimbursable expenses related to Water.org requested project-specific activities may include flights, hotel, food, taxis. Transportation, food, flights, laptop, telephone, office supplies, etc. for daily work activities are not covered by reimbursable expenses. All expenses are subject to approval before reimbursement. Consultant payments will be approved upon completion of agreed deliverables by the Senior Regional Manager, Latin America. Taxes are the responsibility of the Consultant.
The Consultant may be a Pessoa Física or a Pessoa Jurídica and emit a Nota Fiscal or equivalent formal tax receipt, in the name of the consultant or his/her business.
Interested candidates may send a copy of their CV, references, a cover letter describing relevant qualifications and daily rate requirements to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed as they are received.