With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Ecosystems Program works with diverse partners to meet growing needs for food, water and shelter in ways that improve the environment and benefit the economy. The program has four goals: 1) reverse habitat loss on working lands, 2) eliminate fertilizer pollution as a major agricultural problem, 3) rebalance water supply and demand in the American West and 4) restore coastal ecosystems to protect communities from the impacts of climate change.
Environmental Defense Fund is seeking a Communications Specialist to help elevate the thought leadership profiles of the Ecosystems Program’s senior leaders. The Communications Specialist will also support the Ecosystems communications team as necessary. S/he will maintain active digital and social media channels, prepare internal reports, assist in the development of media materials and implement efficient protocols for project tracking. This position reports to the Ecosystem Program’s Senior Communications Director.
- Working closely with the Senior Communications Director, help develop and implement thought leadership strategies for the program’s Senior Vice President.
- Manage the program’s Growing Returns blog and produce regular performance reports using Google analytics and other tools.
- Produce content for the program’s digital and social media channels.
- Coordinate production of the program’s internal newsletter, reports and other events.
- Maintain well-organized and accessible electronic files, including media lists, press clips, collateral, editorial calendars, etc.
- Track media coverage relevant to the Ecosystems Program.
- Administer and help draft contracts for consultants or other vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or marketing.
- At least 3 years of work experience in fast-paced, detail-oriented environment, preferably in a marketing, communications, or issue advocacy context.
- Proficiency with social media tools and analytics.
- Proficiency in Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), WordPress and media management programs such as Vocus.
- Strong research skills.
- Basic graphic design and video editing experience preferred.
- Interest in environmental advocacy is preferred.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.