The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of some 2.4 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of nearly 600 passionate environmental advocates – including lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others – work to protect and create environmental progress at home and abroad from offices in New York, Washington, DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant to work with the Water Program in our Santa Monica office. The assistant will provide support to the director of the Water Program and should be able to think strategically about efficient ways to run the administrative components of the program. This position supports legal and policy staff on the Water & Agriculture, Urban Water Management, and Water & Wildlife teams as well.
Provide administrative support to the director and program as a whole. Job duties will be 80% administrative and will include processing invoices and expense reports; tracking grants and budgets; proofreading, formatting, copying, and scanning documents; maintaining paper and electronic filing systems and databases; scheduling and organizing meetings for staff; coordinating and booking travel; and assisting the receptionist and other program assistants as needed. Additional opportunities include blogging, managing and upgrading websites, drafting and editing reports, performing research and data analysis, and planning and assisting with office events.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience strongly preferred
- Two years’ full-time experience in an administrative position, executive assistant experience preferred
- Must be able to perform, or quickly learn to perform, with accuracy tasks such as proofreading and cite-checking documents; processing and tracking expenses; maintaining calendars and budgets; researching and writing memos; and planning retreats and meetings
- Ability to prioritize and efficiently execute multiple tasks, follow institutional procedures, and perform undirected work with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior editing, research and data synthesis skills
- Commitment to accuracy and rigor
- Ability to maintain composure and sense of humor under deadline pressure
- Willingness and flexibility to work overtime
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work discretely with sensitive information
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook, spreadsheets, databases, and electronic communication
- Interest in environmental issues
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.