Water for Africa through Leadership and Institutional Support (WALIS)
Position: WASH Specialist
Contract Name: WALIS
Contract Number: AID-OAA-TO-15-00034
Period of Performance: LTTA
Maximum Level of Effort: 260 days per year
Location: Position can be based from Washington D.C. or Africa
WALIS is five-year task order under the WADI IDIQ. This project aims to improve the capacity of national water sectors to implement policies, strategies, and plans that will deliver sustainable WASH services consistent with the Sustainable Development Goals. The project will accomplish this by supporting national and regional institutions and their development partners (including USAID) in:
• Developing, monitoring, and analyzing sound sector data;
• Engaging in targeted research and pilot activities around identified sector constraints;
• Strengthening country systems to develop informed policy and engage in sector planning toward sustainable WASH services; and
• Increasing the capacity required to support improved collection and use of sector knowledge.
The WASH Specialist will make key contributions to the WALIS project, which is based in the Washington, D.C. metro area. Operating from a base in sub-Saharan Africa, he/she will work closely with the COP and the Bethesda-based WALIS implementation team as they formulate and execute annual work plans to fulfill the objectives outlined in the background section above. Under the direction of the COP and with support from the Technical Activities Manager, the WASH Specialist will be an essential liaison for WALIS’s regional partners in Africa. The position will require regular travel within Sub-Saharan Africa for meetings with USAID, DAI, and other project stakeholders.
• Closely advise the COP and WALIS’ Bethesda-based team to further elaborate the project’s activities and materially contribute to updates and anticipated follow-on work plans;
• Manage activities related to WALIS support for the AfricaSan Task Force and related subcommittees;
• Manage the design, roll-out, and promotion/oversight of select WALIS activities;
• Contribute to WALIS’s thought leadership activities through the production and presentation of WALIS knowledge and learning products, social media, and reports;
• Provide guidance and technical input on other WALIS technical activities related to organizational development, evidence-based decision making, and other related leadership and institutional support activities;
• With guidance from the COP, maintain communication with and ensure project visibility with regional water sector institutions and initiatives including but not limited to AMCOW, the Africa Development Bank, the African Water Association, and others;
• Provide written input for WALIS progress reporting, work plan updates, and other reporting as defined in DAI’s Task Order.
The WASH Specialist will report to the WALIS Chief of Party. As necessary, the Advisor will also coordinate with the Technical Activities Manager and Senior Operations Manager.
Desired Qualifications and Expertise:
• Advanced degree in International Development or other related fields;
• Good familiarity and work experience with Sub-Saharan Africa, including 5 or more years of residence in the region.
• At least seven years of experience in the WASH and related international development field with a proven track record of more progressive responsibility;
• Proven history of coordinating country and regional stakeholders and WASH technical experts including preparing agendas, identifying speakers and other relevant coordination procedures;
• Experience with global and regional monitoring and evaluation of WASH programs, dialogue processes, international WASH institutions and agencies, and other related programs in Sub-Saharan Africa;
• Proven experience producing and editing high quality academic and sector writing such as case studies in the WASH sector in English.
• Fluency in English is required and fluency in French is desired.