Job Number: 506745 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Headquarters Locations: United States of America
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Background & Rationale
UNICEF’s overall objective in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) is to contribute to the realisation of children’s rights to survival, growth and development through support to programmes that increase equitable and sustainable use of safe drinking water, basic sanitation, and promote improved hygiene.
During the course of UNICEF’s Strategic Plan 2014-2017, UNICEF seeks to further improve its global WASH programme in five key areas such that:
- Our programming is recognised as the benchmark of best practice
- Our programmes achieve scale and transformational change
- We demonstrate outcomes across sectors and corporate agendas
- We provide leadership in responding to emergencies
- We make the best use of our global network of knowledge & expertise
The call to ending open defecation carries over to the SDG period and remains a core commitment in the UNICEF WASH Strategy 2016-230. Under the new Strategic Plan, countries with high burdens of open defecation were identified and targeted for support. This consultancy’s primarily relates to the support that headquarters provides to regional and country office initiatives to improve programming against the SP 2014-2017 and strategically bring in the links to the new strategic plan and the game plan to end open defecation.
The purpose of this consultancy is to provide country and regional technical assistance for sanitation programming, knowledge capture of lessons learned and support the Sanitation and Hygiene Team and preparations for the ODF Game Plan.
Expected results: (measurable results)
Under the supervision of the WASH specialist, the consultant will:
- Provide advice and support to country and regional offices on an as agreed basis with Regional WASH Advisers (30 days)
- Conduct review of country programme documents (i.e. policies, proposals, plans, strategies, monitoring data, and reports)
- Undertake field visits to country office as required
- Incorporating feedback from WASH Section team, Regional WASH Advisors and key WASH Section Chiefs/CO staff;
- Produce high quality knowledge products and publications, which will contribute to strengthening UNICEF sanitation and hygiene programmes. (30 days)
- Conduct training on the development of field notes
- Working with identified countries, support countries to develop case studies based on field visits and programme reviews, and secondary data;
- Liaise with the Senior Adviser on Knowledge Management to ensure quality assurance measures are compliant to WASH section guidance on knowledge products with final approval by the Senior Advisor, Sanitation & Hygiene
- Conduct a mapping and identify the technical assistance needs of high burden countries (10 days)
- Analyse sanitation data in the top 25 high burden countries (coverage, success rates, slippage rates)
- Review on going regional strategies and initiatives to end open defecation
- Review CATS progress data from all UNICEF CATS countries and conduct basic analysis
- Develop a technical support needs assessment for select countries
- Liaise with the country offices and regional offices as necessary
The consultant can be based in any location having good internet access but will be expected to travel to UNICEF HQ in New York, Country or Regional Offices on an as needed basis.
Start date: 11 September 2017
End date: 11 December 2017
Key competences, technical background, and experience required Deadline
- Advanced University degree in engineering, public health, or social sciences
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in WASH sector and/or public health
- Strong writing skills essential
- Experience of working cross-culturally in development required
- Strong knowledge of community approaches to sanitation programming preferred
- Good inter-personal and communication skills
- Experience with developing programme guidance and/or training materials
- Understanding of the work of the UN, and UNICEF would be an advantage.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
With the exception of the US Citizens, G4 Visa and Green Card holders, should the selected candidate and his/her household members reside in the United States under a different visa, the consultant and his/her household members are required to change their visa status to G4, and the consultant’s household members (spouse) will require an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to be able to work, even if he/she was authorized to work under the visa held prior to switching to G4.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date Mon Aug 21 2017 15:00:00 GMT+0200 (CEST) Eastern Daylight Time
Closing Date Fri Sep 22 2017 05:55:00 GMT+0200 (CEST)