Job Number: 507109 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Headquarters Locations: United States of America
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, water, sanitation and hygiene
UNICEF is a leading agency in WASH programmes in the United Nations system. UNICEF leads on major global partnerships and responds to emerging global trends and developments that shape the programming environment in countries and have a major impact on the poorest and most vulnerable children. There is a large and increasing number of major global engagements in which UNICEF plays a leadership role such as UN-Water, the post 2015 process, the Sanitation and Water for All partnership and the WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme. Leveraging these partnerships and linking them to our programming priorities and strategies are critical for achieving UNICEF’s Strategic Plan.
How can you make a difference?
The Senior Adviser reports to the Associte Director WASH for general guidance and direction. The Senior Adviser is responsible for managing and supervising all stages of WASH programme from strategic planning and formulation to the delivery of the WASH outcomes and output results. The Senior adviser is also responsible to support the WASH Section in Programme Division to effectively lead, shape and respond to global developments and initiatives. This includes ensuring coherence between our programmatic priorities and strategies and our engagement in private sector partnerships and initiatives, and ensuring that we leverage these partnerships to maximize results for children. This position would also be responsible for leveraging UNICEF’s leadership, experience and partnerships to influence global WASH agendas.
The key duties and tasks are:
1. Global partnerships and strategies
- Achieve coherence between UNICEF’s programming priorities and strategies and private sector partnerships.
2. Advisory services and technical support
- Lead the development and implementation of UNICEF’s programmatic role in leveraging the private sector to shape sanitation, hygiene and water markets for the unserved and underserved.
3. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
Leverage UNICEF’s leadership, experience and partnerships to influence global WASH agendas.
4. Other responsibilities
- Contribute to PD-WASH activities to engage and manage strategic partnerships on WASH.
- Contribute to overall outcomes of the WASH Section and to provide advice on section management issues.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering, communication and advocacy or other specialist field related to WASH is required.
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are required.
- A minimum of 10 of relevant professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries, including one year deployment in a developing country.
- Proven ability to effectively lead a team to deliver results.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Opening Date Thu Sep 14 2017 15:00:00 GMT+0200 (CEST) Eastern Daylight Time
Closing Date Fri Oct 06 2017 05:55:00 GMT+0200 (CEST)