About the role: This is a 12 month, replacement role with unaccompanied terms based in Bentiu, Unity State, South Sudan with a salary of Grade 2 €29,734 – €33,038
You will report to the WASH Coordinator and will line project staff and work closely with the Area Coordinator, Country Financial controller (CFC), Systems Director (SD), Base Manager, Emergency Programmes Director, Hygiene Promotion Specialist, humanitarian agencies in the former Unity State which is now covered by Northern and Southern Liech States, relevant authorities and other stakeholders in South Sudan
We would like you to start as soon as possible as the current post holder has already left the post.
To be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the Hygiene Promotion Programme in assigned locations within the former Unity State programme. Key activities include: to implement the water-sanitation component of emergency WASH responses according to global and organisational standards in coordination with the Hygiene Promotion Team.
You will be responsible for:
Plan development & design
- Work collaboratively with the Concern WASH team and the cluster to design or customise WASH assessment tools e.g. KAP surveys, household and baseline surveys, focus group discussions
- Design interventions for specific target groups, e.g. schools, youth groups, men, women religious leaders.
- Develop detailed guidelines for community participation in WASH activities e.g. management and maintenance of WASH facilities, waste disposal, vector control.
- Develop a PHP monitoring plan and manage others in the effective monitoring and reporting of key WASH and health indicators
Assessment & situation/context follow up
- Lead the PHP component of WASH assessments
- Analyse needs and vulnerability data (including health information and data for
HIV and malaria/vector risk assessment) to plan and design the PHP response plan
- Oversee the day to day management of the implementation of all HP activities;
- Provide management support to the HP team ensuring that they have up to date job descriptions, clear objectives and identify and facilitate training when required.
- Ensure that all the necessary resources are in place to deliver on the HP activities (staff & logistic etc.)
- Implement a PHP/WASH programme learning review, documenting lessons learned, and clear recommendations for future interventions.
Human resource & partnership
- Recruit, train and supervise Hygiene Promotion staff. This may involve the writing of job descriptions, work schedules, training plans and appraisals
- Provide a culture promoting diversity and gender equality
- Represent CWW at cluster forums
- Influence and support WASH coordination by providing strategic, technical initiatives within the WASH Cluster
- Work in close collaboration with other members of the CWW team, sharing information and designing and implementing programme activities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Area Coordinator
Your skills and experience will include:
- Degree/Advanced Degree in Public health or sociology or any other development related study
- Proven and substantial humanitarian management experience in leading teams, and ensuring the delivery, of PHP program strategy, either through partners or directly, in one or more emergency, resource-scarce locations.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically, including the capacity to analyze the humanitarian PHP context and and propose new interventions and changes in the program and policies.
- Proven knowledge and capacity to train others in the analytical and technical PHP tools.
- Experience in conflict and protracted emergencies and the ability to analyze the situation and make decisions appropriate to a complex environment.
- Ability to recognize triggers for slow onset emergencies and effectively communicate data and trends to country/regional leadership.
- An active commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of people affected by disasters in all aspects of an organization’s work.
- Financial management skills to steer the operational budget.
- Experience on humanitarian fundraising and humanitarian donor reporting
- Understanding of managing security and risk within an INGO context.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to motivate, influence, and negotiate.
- Computer literate and sound knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Experience of working in South Sudan, and an understanding of the context of where the crisis is located.
- Experience in promoting community participation in programme design, implementation and evaluation
- Experience of working in challenging, insecure areas and willingness to work and live in a remote environment
We would also like:
A team player with significant experience in team building with strong organisational, interpersonal and communications skills. Understanding of security context and its relevance to programme delivery & design. Understanding and sensitivity to cross cultural issues; ability to work and remain calm under pressure; good people development and motivation skills. Flexible and adaptable to changing environments. Diplomatic; a commitment to working through systems of community participation and mobilization. Willingness to travel and live under basic conditions. Needs to have initiative and be able to work with minimal supervision
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net by closing date. CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
All candidates who are short-listed for a first round interview will be notified via email after the application deadline.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.
Concern Worldwide is an Irish-based non-governmental, international, humanitarian organisation dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.