Job Number: 505343 | Vacancy Link
Location: Programme Division, UNICEF NYHQ
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Background and Rationale
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere and support countries to reach SDGs. SDG 3 focuses on ending preventable maternal, newborn and child deaths with a focus on promoting well-being. Multisectoral inputs to improve the health status of populations is well-acknowledged including the need for synergies with education, WASH and nutrition sectors. SDG 6 includes ambitious new targets to achieve universal access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) by 2030. Universal access extends beyond the household and implies addressing WASH in Institutional settings such as schools and healthcare facilities. It also calls for close collaboration with other sectors in support of the shared objective to “end poverty in all its forms”. Fulfilling every child’s right to water, sanitation and hygiene still remains a major challenge.
UNICEF is engaged with partners to develop and implement tools for WASH in health care facilities (HCFs). WASH in HCFs is an integral part of quality improvement initiatives for maternal and newborn health.
This terms of reference (TORs) have been developed to hire a consultant to provide assistance to regional and country offices to programme for WASH in healthcare facilities and contribute to UNICEF’s global engagement on the Global Action Plan in support of improving quality of care. This will contribute to improved availability, quality and use of maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health services in health facilities, and improved infection control and therefore contribute to averting potential antibiotic resistance.
The consultant is required to interact with senior WASH and Health staff at global, regional and national levels, to communicate with critical internal and external stakeholders such as UNICEF ROs, COs, other divisions, WHO, Wateraid.
The objectives of the consultancy are:
- Provide support on the multi-sectoral action for Quality of Care within Quality Equity Dignity across both maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (MNCAH) and WASH.
- Strengthen advocacy for WASH in health care facilities at global, regional and national levels.
- Develop guidance for WASH in HCFs to improve the quality of programme planning and implementation on WASH in health care facilities at subnational and country level
- First University Degree (Bachelor’s) degree in Medicine, Pubic Health, Public Health Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible work experience at the Mid-level related to WASH and or Health programming.
- Good understanding of UNICEF WASH and or Health programme strategies.
- Knowledge and familiarity of international development issues in the field of WASH in HCFs and proven track record of working effectively with partners in developing countries
- Experience in producing WASH in Health Care Facilities capacity building materials, such as training materials, resources packages, toolkits and advocacy briefs.
- Fluency and strong communication and writing skills in English. French is an added advantage.
- Understanding of the work of the UN, and UNICEF an advantage.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date Mon Jun 12 2017 15:00:00 GMT+0200 (CEST) Eastern Daylight Time
Closing Date Tue Jun 27 2017 05:55:00 GMT+0200 (CEST)