Save the Children is currently pursuing a Scaling-Up Nutrition Technical Assistance Project in Zambia funded by USAID over a six-year period. This upcoming contract will focus on an integrated approach to nutrition activity intended to bring to scale a core package of evidence-based interventions that will reduce stunting in a minimum of 30 districts in Zambia. The quality and quantity of dietary intake, access to appropriate health conditions, access to clean water as well as behavior change for improved livelihoods, nutrition and WASH practices will have a major impact on the sustainability for this project.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Impact
Save the Children seeks a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Expert for an anticipated USAID-funded Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Technical Assistance Activity in Zambia. The goal of the five-year activity is to reduce stunting by 15% in target provinces and will focus on ensuring: 1) adequate quantity and quality of dietary intake among targeted groups, and 2) adequate health conditions for biological utilization of nutrients.
The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Expert will work closely and collaboratively with the Chief of Party (and other senior technical leads) and will be primarily responsible for ensuring that strategies increase adoption of household hygiene practices, improve access to safe drinking water, facilitate access to safe sanitation in communities and schools, and reduce exposure to causes of disease and environmental enteropathy. The WASH Expert will:
· Ensure the smooth, efficient and effective start-up and implementation of the WASH marketing and hygiene behavior change components of the project.
· Coordinate with all project staff on the design, implementation, and monitoring of an integrated platform that synergistically and holistically addresses nutrition-sensitive needs at the household level.
· Ensure development of detailed implementation plans, collection of appropriate baseline and monitoring data, including clear process and impact indicators, and effective project monitoring and evaluation procedures to ensure accountability,
· Guarantee timely and accurate donor reporting.
· Seek to continuously improve programs, initiate new project implementation strategies as needed, and plan for expansion of project impact, as appropriate.
· Hire, train, supervise and evaluate key staff for the WASH component – and oversee this process for less senior staff – and ensure that personnel policies are followed.
· In partnership with the other senior technical staff, establish and maintain good relationships with project co-implementers; government ministries and departments; NGOs working in the area and other key stakeholders. Attend coordination meetings as appropriate. Ensure that activities are coordinated with relevant stakeholders, including communities.
Please note that this position will only be filled if the funding is awarded by the donor.
Required Background and Experience, Skills and Behaviors
· Extensive experience managing water, sanitation, and hygiene programs in developing county contexts and preferably, in Africa;
· Experience in the field of WASH marketing, including franchising, demand and supply side dynamics, behavior change communication, and social marketing.
· Experience integrating WASH and Nutrition programs is highly desirable.
· Minimum of MSc/Master’s in Civil Engineering, Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Management, Public Health or qualifications that demonstrate relevance to WASH project management;
· A history of productive involvement with governmental health systems, processes and service delivery models in developing countries;
· Demonstrated knowledge and background in community mobilization and engagement;
· Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations;
· Familiarity and understanding of USAID policies and procedures, or those of other donors, or those of donor-funded projects or community-based projects;
· Fluent oral and strong analytical, written English communications skills is required;
· Demonstrated ability to address behavior change issues in improving household WASH; and
· Extensive work experience in Zambia (local candidates strongly encouraged to apply).
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world’s most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children’s lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. As a humanitarian agency, Save the Children is obliged to create and maintain an environment that aims to prevent the sexual exploitation and abuse of children and promote the implementation of its child safeguarding policy. All representatives of Save the Children – employees, volunteers, interns, consultants, Board members and others who work with children on Save the Children’s behalf – are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws