Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is today the main source of multilateral financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing member countries.
The Environment, Rural Development and Disaster Risk Management Division (CSD/RND) supports the operations of the Bank related to natural disaster risk management, rural and agricultural development, tourism development and natural resource management.
The Division also advises the Administration in the development of strategies, policies and guidelines for the Bank and its borrowing member countries in the areas of its competence. During project implementation, the Division provides technical assistance to borrowers, executing agencies, Country Offices and other Bank units.
The Contractual chosen for this position will be based in the Bank’s Country Office in Belize and will participate in the technical and operational work of the Bank in the areas of environment and natural resources management, including the mainstreaming of natural capital in productive activities and related sectors (Integrated Coastal Zone Management, sustainable tourism and other productive activities such as agriculture, fisheries, comprehensive disaster risk management and climate change adaptation) , as well as support the development of regional knowledge products in these sectors as required.
The Natural Resources Management Contractual will work within a matrix structure under the supervision of the CSD/RND Division Chief and the Country Representative in the Bank’s office in Belize. His/her activities will be aligned with the Country Strategy, led by the management team in the Belize Country Office.
- Coordinate the technical coordination of Bank operations in Belize (loans and technical cooperation) in environment, natural resources management and related sectors (see list of sectors above) in collaboration with the operational team in the Bank’s Country Office in Belize.
- Participate in the quality review of reports and knowledge products submitted by advisors contracted by the Bank.
- Engage in portfolio management (management by results) in collaboration with the relevant fiduciary specialists and in coordination with the Chief of Operations and the project team leader (if applicable), particularly in developing action plans for how to respond to identified problems. In this regard the work will be aligned with the Bank’s Country Office cross-cutting initiatives for tracking and monitoring the portfolio.
- Conduct technical inspection visits of RND operations in Belize.
- Participate in the assessment of outcomes and impacts of operations.
- Provide inputs to prepare business plans and budget for the achievement of the CSD/RND work program in Belize.
- Support the technical dialogue with sector authorities to identify potential areas of Bank assistance in natural resources management and related sectors (see list above) in coordination with the Bank’s Country Office in Belize.
- Contribute to the identification, design and preparation of loans and technical cooperation for potential projects in environment, natural resources management and related sectors that respond to the Country Strategy, seeking to strengthen the Bank’s multisectoral work.
- Contribute to the incorporation of a comprehensive approach to mainstreaming natural capital in productive sectors and infrastructure in loans and technical cooperation led by other divisions of the Bank, in close coordination with the divisions involved and the Bank’s Country Office.
- Participate in donor meetings to help identify opportunities for collaboration in environment, natural resources management and related sectors.
- Academic Degree/ Level & Years of Professional Work Experience: Candidates must hold a Master’s Degree in disciplines related to environment and natural resources management (for example: environmental policy, environmental sciences, coastal and marine resources management, disaster risk management, climate change adaptation, geography etc.) A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in Latin America and the Caribbean in planning, implementing and/or project management in environment, natural resources management and related sectors.
- Language: Oral and written fluency in English with basic knowledge in Spanish is a requirement.
- Areas of Expertise: With experience in mainstreaming natural capital in productive sectors and promoting coastal resilience. Experience working in multidisciplinary teams, particularly in the context of multi-lateral institutions, is desirable. Prior project experience in the Caribbean and/or Central America is also desirable.
- Technical Competencies:
- Dialogue of the technical sector: Demonstrates knowledge on public policy trends in environment, natural resources management and related sectors particularly in the Caribbean and/or Central America and in the region overall.
- Sector development: Demonstrates knowledge on strategic issues for positioning the Bank’s in the sector, such as: (i) national regulatory and institutional frameworks for environment and natural resources management; (ii) approaches to mainstreaming natural capital in productive activities, including ecosystem services assessment methodologies;(iii) investment strategies for coastal protection, improvement of resilience to coastal hazards, sustainable tourism and fisheries; and (iv) regional networks and initiatives in natural resources management in the Caribbean, including commitments to international agreements in biodiversity conservation and climate change.
- Economic and sector work: Conducts and applies the work of economic or sectoral analysis to support the formulation of country sectoral and regional strategies, besides the dialogue with countries, lending and technical assistance programs.
- Analysis and project design: At least 5 years of experience in analysis and design of projects in environment, natural resources management and related sectors. Conceptualizes, prepares and participates in the approval of projects and programs (for example, loans and technical cooperation), in coordination with other team members and the respective authorities.
- Project monitoring: At least 3 years of experience in project management of natural resources management and related sectors. Effectively supports the implementation of projects and programs to maximize their results.
- Monitoring and evaluation: Designs and implements methodologies for effective monitoring and evaluation of projects and programs, including operations monitoring tools.
- Management and dissemination of knowledge: Share and effectively disseminates sector knowledge and learning experience to increase the importance of the Bank’s borrowing countries and the region.
- General Competencies:
- Focus on Client and Management: Focuses its efforts on achieving business results by understanding the needs of internal and/or external customers. Values the importance of providing the customer a high quality service while performing a balance between the interests of the client and the IDB.
- Innovation and Creativity: Provides innovative and creative solutions to problems contributing to organizational effectiveness. Tries new and different ways of working to give added value to the services / products provided.
- Exchange of knowledge: Actively develops and exchanges knowledge within and outside his/her area of business. Uses his/her expertise to improve organizational effectiveness and add value in his/her sphere of influence.
- Collaboration and Influence: Cooperates with others and promote teamwork to achieve win-win results. Gets the support of others for his/her own ideas and initiatives, regardless of formal authority and organizational boundaries.
- Critical thinking and judgment: Uses the information, experience and good judgment to make sound decisions and provide effective solutions to problems. Assesses and manages risk at his/her work.
Characteristics of the Consultancy
- Contractual category and modality: Defined Term Contractual (DTC), Monthly
- Contract duration duration: 19 months.
- Place(s) of work: IADB’s Country Office in Belize.
- Responsible person: Natural Resources Lead Specialist (CSD/RND)
Payment and Conditions: Compensation will be determined in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may contribute toward travel and moving expenses. In addition, candidates must be citizens of an IDB member country.
Visa and Work Permit: The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may submit a visa request to the applicable immigration authorities; however, the granting of the visa is at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of the candidate to obtain the necessary visa or work permits required by the authorities of the country(ies) in which the services will be rendered to the Bank. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa or work permit to render services to the Bank the contractual offer will be rescinded
Consanguinity: Pursuant to applicable Bank policy, candidates with relatives (including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity, including spouse) working for the Bank as staff members or Complementary Workforce contractuals, will not be eligible to provide services for the Bank.
Diversity: The Bank is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities to all candidates. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.