The Somaliland Country Offfice is currently recruiting for the HECA Drought Response a
Fulltime/ 40 hours a week
until 31 December 2017, extendable to 31st March 2018
Based in Hargeisa
Purpose of the position
To coordinate Oxfam’s WASH drought response programme in Somalialnd and Puntland.
WASH Leadership and Representation
- To have the overall responsibility for the WASH activities in the Oxfam humanitarian programme
- To directly manage WASH team
- To assist in programme design and to provide technical support to write proposals for both short term and long term WASH programming in Somalia.
- To ensure that all Oxfam’s work is to a suitable standard as laid out in the Oxfam minimum requirements for WASH (MR WASH).
- To ensure there is regular communication between the PHE and PHP activities and staff.
To take a leading role in interagency WASH coordination forums.
To formulate an Oxfam WASH strategy for the country/humanitarian programme in collaboration with all the other sectors involved in the Oxfam programme and the programme managers.
- Liaise with OI affiliates and give WASH support where appropriate
- Advise on the need for assessments and participation in initial assessment missions
- Comment and advise on assessment reports from the field in order to appraise emergency situations and make new recommendations for Oxfam which are consistent with Oxfam policy
To assist in the selection, design and implementation of the most appropriate form of water and sanitation response and systems, in consultation with the beneficiaries,
To promote the inclusion of cross cutting issues within programming, including HIV/AIDS, malaria, gender, protection and community participation.
- Advises on appropriateness and feasibility of programmes, and Oxfam’s capacity to implement
- To be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, SPHERE, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g., InterAction Field Co-operation Protocol).
Human Resources and Capacity Building
- To assist in the in country recruitment, briefing and development of WASH staff
- To manage the deployment of recruited WASH staff within the programme areas.
- To identify and support /mentor a suitable candidate to hand over too to continue this role.
- To respond to requests from the field for training/support and to proactively target programmes/groups/people where there is a perceived need for strengthening skills.
- To develop a training plan in collaboration with country programmes
To monitor the effectiveness and impact of the training programmes
To ensure that all training/programmes take gender issues fully into account. This includes the introduction of mechanisms to enable women to participate in decision making around public health engineering issues.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Advise on monitoring and evaluation of programmes in the field in collaboration with the MEAL Officer
- Assist with monitoring and evaluation of field based programmes
- Comment on reviews of programmes and link findings of monitoring and evaluation to production of guidelines.
Partnership management and capacity building
- To work with local NGO partners in term of planning, implementation and monitoring
- Lead partner technical meeting to follow up on the implementation plan and address issues for programme improvement
- Identify capacity gaps and conduct relevant trainings to partner staff
- Provide technical guideline for partner implementation
- Review partner budget, budget monitoring and following up
You have a Bachelors/Masters degree in in a related discipline like Public Health Engineering and Promotion;
Over 5 yrs + experience in emergency WASH programming preferably with Oxfam. This includes large scale up (sudden onset) programme design;
Proven experience of coordinating water, sanitation and hygiene programmes;
- Most importantly, substantial experience in developing countries in appropriate water supplies, sanitation and hygiene promotion. It is desirable that some of this should have been in emergency relief programmes. The post holder should have a good understanding of the public health needs of poor rural and urban communities and of appropriate ways of tackling them. The post holder must be aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of women in this context;
- Experience of Arid and semi arid environments, drought and chronic, slow onset humanitarian emergencies is highly desirable;
- Proven ability to plan and implement training and capacity building of staff;
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations;
- The ability to contribute to donor proposals and reports with accurate technical detail;
Diplomacy and tact in order to work with people at managerial and, on occasions, senior government levels. The post holder should also be at ease in working with local people;
Well developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations;
Ability and willingness to work in a remote location with limited social life or even lack of food diversity;
Good written and spoken English is essential Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Oxfam;
Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies. Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into water and sanitation programmes;
Ability to lead on technical issues and representation WASH issues both externally and internally.
**What we offer
**Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between € 2962,– to € 4557,– gross based on 40 hours a week.
Please submit your application here and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by June 15, 2017 at the latest. Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.