Plan, develop and evaluate the assigned WASH projects. This involves assessing WASH needs, designing projects, writing proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction for the WASH programme. Other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in WASH delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing staff.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Lebanon, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Syrian refugees in the Bekaa Valley. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter Assistance, Mapping of refugee settlements and WASH. The Lebanon programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Field based position in Zahle, Lebanon. Take a look at Medair’s work in Lebanon.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
August 2017. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Manage the projects in order to meet the objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local WASH staff.
- Develop and implement an effective WASH strategy. Set clear objectives and indicators.
- Continuously monitor and supervise activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate reporting of activities according to Medair and donor timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals and assist with the identification of future areas for WASH interventions.
- Line-manage the WASH staff, including day-to-day management, development and training, etc.
- Facilitate meetings to assist information sharing between staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives, progress, current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for WASH activities.
- Assess the training needs of WASH staff and ensure that appropriate training is provided.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned projects and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop regular and transparent communication structures with the WASH team, Medair Headquarters advisers and other stakeholders (beneficiaries, community leaders, government officials, UN agencies).
- Participate actively in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required.
- Networking with WASH stakeholders within Medair’s area of operation to develop new approaches.
- Ensure that WASH activities are reported on external systems as required
- Ensure procurement plans are developed for each project in coordination with the Logistics Manager.
- Ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Promote the Medair operating procedures, ensuring that guidelines are followed.
- Work with the Information Management team to ensure that proper IT tools are in place for project implementation and evaluation.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a WASH context. Capacity to expand the current WASH programme.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Able to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Then please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.