The Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering and to improve the situation of vulnerable people. The NLRC helps, protects and takes care of people that are victims of war, conflict and disaster, and those who need assistance because of other circumstances. Within our international work, improving rural and (peri-) urban vulnerable people’s health and dignity constitutes a significant part of our work.
NLRC has been present in the Philippines since 2011, supporting the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) with longer term resilience projects in the thematic areas of disaster risk reduction, disaster preparedness, health, WASH and Disaster Recovery. These projects are implemented in Metro Manila, Mindanao and Eastern Visayas.
Position title: WASH delegate – engineering profile with WASH experience in urban settings and experience of working with the private sector.
Duty station: Philippines, Cebu (and the first 4/5 months Manila) with frequent travel to project sites
Time period: 12 months with possibility of extension
Starting Date: 1 July 2017
Status: Accompanied (No Family)
The NLRC in the Philippines is currently supporting projects of PRC in the area of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene:
1) The current 3FM Water & sanitation project has been implemented since January 2014. The project targets 25,000 people in Tondo slum (Barangay 101) in Manila where many formal and informal settlers live. It is focussing on the reduction of childhood diarrhea through hygiene education and the provision of water and sanitation facilities. The project also has a small livelihood and DRR component which would ultimately contribute to the overall WASH sector. The project includes a structural engineering sanitation component in schools and communities in an urban setting and therefore solid technical support is required.
2) In Cebu, the project “Sustainable and resilient pro-poor Water supply Fund” is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project initiated in 2014 in Cebu City. The overall goal is to improve access to clean drinking water supply for 80,000 people. It will tackle the root causes of the lack of safe water supply to the poor, lack of resilience of water supplies after disasters, and incapacity to carry out distribution projects. Through extensions to the existing MCWD’s (Metropolitan Cebu Water District) distribution systems, continuous and safe water will be supplied to 80,000 people, of which 30,000 belong to the poorest people in the slums of Cebu. In addition, the project will enhance health gains through community programmes, which will provide support and expertise in WASH, Health Promotion, and Disaster Risk Reduction in the communities of Cebu.
3) A similar PPP project to Cebu SWF is currently in development. The project will be based in Cagayan de Oro in Mindanao, focusing on a beneficiary group based in relocation sites and in areas prone to flooding in the upstream river basin south of the city. If the submission is successful, the implementation of some project partners will already start in 2017, whilst Red Cross components will start in 2018, with only limited preparations needed in 2017.
Summary statement and responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position will be project management and hardware/engineering support to Philippines Red Cross to implement effectively the water and sanitation activities. Project development for resource mobilization and coaching a junior WASH delegate in Tondo also belong to the delegate tasks.
· Technical support to all NLRC WASH project in the Philippines, in close cooperation with PRC, consortium members, local authorities and other stakeholders (e.g design and implementation of sanitation systems, assess ground conditions, set up maintenance systems and concrete sustainability plan, train involved stakeholders (incl. community members) in arranging maintenance and repairs of facilities, support in the preparation of technical drawings, BOQ, specifications for WASH infrastructure, etc)
· Assist PRC in developing, negotiating and managing contracts with service providers (include preparing tender documentation and evaluating capacity and quality of contractors).
· Monitor and ensure the quality of the construction work in the field. Develop necessary quality control tools and make necessary visits to field sites to ensure that quality work is being completed, and monitoring the events/outputs to ensure the timely completion of the project within the allocated budget.
· Supervise and mentor the Junior WASH Delegate and transfer project management skills to the Junior WASH Delegate to be able to function independently.
· Produce regular, timely and accurate financial and narrative reports for the NLRC Headquarters.
· Coordinate activities with other Participating National Societies (PNS) active in the WASH sector in Philippines through appropriate internal RCRC coordination mechanisms. Coordinate with non-Movement partners and local governments involved in the NLRC WASH projects in the Philippines.
· Budget holder for all NLRC WASH projects in the Philippines. The budget holder is responsible to ensure that expenditure charged is appropriately allocated and correctly stated. Authorization of such expenditure will be exercised by a combination of transaction approval, monitoring actual expenditure requisition against the approved budget line, clarifying funds available and making sure donor earmarking requirements are met. Monitoring and management of procurement following standard NLRC Procedures.
· Identifying and proactively pursuing new opportunities for WASH promotion programming (stand-alone and/or integrated projects) and developing proposals, project documents and budgets for new projects.
Position in the organization
This position will report to Country Representative with a functional line to Advisory Unit at NLRC HQ office.
· Degree or diploma in Water/Sanitation or Civil engineering
· Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance to field staff in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
· Further qualifications in Project management, Public Health or community Development
· Minimum 5 years working experience in a developing country
· Computer skills on engineering software like AutoCAD, Etabs/Staad pro, etc, is preferred
· Experience of working for a humanitarian organization and/or the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement
· Experience in implementing WASH projects in urban contexts and understanding of urban complexities
· Engaging effectively with beneficiaries especially women and children and other vulnerable groups
· Experience of working with the private sector and local government actors.
· Experience of complete project management cycle, including financial accountability and reporting
· Experience of proposal writing
· Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word-processing)
· Skills in coaching, training and developing staff
· Ability to engage effectively with National Society staff, volunteers and beneficiaries, being results focused and accountable, being a team builder and team player, a good communicator at all levels, having professional mastery over their technical area, having leadership qualities and encouraging others to take the lead when appropriate, having managerial effectiveness.
· Show solid capacities in management of budgets; monitoring and evaluation; supervision and control; reporting; communication; networking; forming vision; organizational sensitivity
· Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to
· For more information about the position, you can contact [email protected] ;
· An assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
· While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.