Trócaire Somalia Country Office (Gedo Regional Health Programmes)
One Year contract
Main Purpose of the Role
The WASH Engineer will manage and oversee water supply / sanitation installation and rehabilitation in designated sites. He/She will lead the construction scheduling, site planning, occasional training of skilled labour, and quality assurance in the target areas in Luuq, Dollow and Beled Hawa
Reporting to: Humanitarian CoordinatorKey Responsibilities
1. Supervises and oversees artisans in WASH sites
2. Develop work schedules in a language understood by contractors
3 Regularly prepare progress reports for the management.
4. Serve as the technical lead construction and implementation of water supply including construction of water sources, storage, repair of water systems, and, sanitation facilities for schools and medical facilities.
1. In consultation with the Programme Management, ensures the efficient and effective delivery of Trocaire’s WASH Programme in Gedo. This includes:
- Quality implementation of detailed construction/piping drawings and specifications in WASH design in conformance with all applicable Somalia government construction codes, and/or international norms
- Support beneficiary institutions in development of operation and maintenance plan for WASH infrastructure.
- Arrange for testing of any new water sources to ensure potability.
- Work with the team to link water, sanitation and hygiene awareness, particularly in schools. Specifically ensure sanitation facilities conform to Somali culture, and that hand washing facilities not only obey the same, but are user-friendly.
- Prepare site visit reports, engineer’s instructions, any variation orders, and payment and completion certificates in a timely manner and obtain sign off from Trocaire management.
- Ensure all contractual works conform to design, and are tested before issuing of completion certificates.
2. Recommends changes on designs, material specifications and grant charts and obtains sign off from Trocaire management.
- Determine construction supply needs, identify gaps and initiate requests to Logistician/Procurement Officer for materials in agreed timeframes.
- Explain to beneficiary institutions, government officials, the working modalities of Trocaire Somali programme.
- Ensures that labourers (skilled, unskilled, beneficiaries) observe minimum health and safety procedures to minimize risk of accidents/injuries.
Logistics & Procurement:
- Reports any procurement and warehousing concerns to the humanitarian coordinator: materials provision strategies, clarifies any materials specifications issues, and provides technical input and problem-solving to any other procurement and logistics issues as they arise
- Works with the Procurement Unit and Warehousing team in the review of goods received, particularly in the verification of quality of materials received, arranging for transport of material, coordinating with beneficial institutions to handle and store construction and plumbing materials, and supporting them to maintain stock books in the field.
- Works with Procurement and Warehousing to prepare and execute a procurement plan to ensure favourable lead time for the procurement team.
- Works with Trocaire management team in the field in monitoring and reporting progress, and, adopts agreed changes in designs to conform to varying context.
- Carries out regular quality control checks on constructed sanitation facilities in schools and health facilities, and oversees artisans to ensure that the end result conforms to internationally acceptable standards.
- Provides weekly reports on performance of the WASH programme in reference to all points above and any other relevant or critical information.
- Strengthens relationships between Trocaire, UN agencies and beneficiaries, (community leaders and government agencies) working closely with all project stakeholders.
- Ensures that all work orders and labour contracts are approved before any work takes place.
- Submits liquidations, minimizes likelihood of incidences of litigation which may lead to liquidated damages, and makes sure that charges are reasonable, allowable and allocable.
- When required, prepares contract bundles (agreements, specifications, conditions, drawings, etc) payment certificates, variation orders, and completion certificates.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Higher National Diploma from a recognized institution.
- Minimum two years’ experience working with NGOs, or government agencies in planning or implementation of construction or infrastructure projects.
- Proven strong ability to provide technical assistance and expert advice to artisans in infrastructure and related fields.
- Experience in project planning, supervision, and reporting.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills
- Must be a Somali and being from Gedo is a distinct advantage
- Ability to manage contractors in a fluid security environment
- Strong interpersonal skills to ensure maximum coordination with concerned groups; respects the limits of authority
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of MS Windows and MS Office programs.
- Ability to work independently and creatively.
- Enthusiasm in working as a member of a team and willingness to learn.
- Ability to embrace the challenge of working under pressure
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Closing date is 9th June 2017.Applications will be reviewed as they come and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.