The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where it is estimated that 1.2 million people are in grave danger.
Role Specific Information
- Develop WASH strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from WASH implementation, and incorporate them in WASH activities and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
Our Ideal Candidate:
Civil Engineer with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position in humanitarian / recovery context. A results-oriented attitude and someone with a high level of energy. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in the Middle East. Technical WASH expertise relevant to the role with exceptional writing skills. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong project development and coordination skills, who has proven experience of development of strategies and providing technical expertise to the field staff in WASH sector.
If this sounds like you, apply now to join one of the world’s leading INGO’s and be part of a team of highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world’s biggest displacement crisis.
Contract period: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Erbil, with travel to field offices
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the “Company name” field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs