IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply.Job Purpose
Support ongoing development, coordination and monitoring of ADB policies and strategies and implementation of ADB operations pertaining to disaster risk management (DRM). Support operational departments in implementing a more proactive risk management approach to DRM in all ADB operations. Provide intellectual leadership through the framework of ADB’s integrated DRM framework, which combines disaster risk reduction (DRR) with elements of climate change adaptation (CCA) and disaster risk financing (DRF), to ADB’s developing member countries (DMCs) to support them in building up their DRM capacities. Apply technical excellence and help ensure the high quality of all ADB DRM knowledge products and contribute to regional and global DRM events and networks. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
A. Policies, Strategies and Frameworks• Monitor the application and implementation of ADB’s disaster and emergency assistance policy (DEAP) and practices.• Support the development, promotion and implementation of ADB’s integrated disaster risk management (DRM) approach. B. Operational Advice and Support• Provide technical advisory services to regional departments for (i) developing country and sector approaches for strengthening DRM; (ii) mainstreaming DRM in country partnership strategies; (iii) processing DRM loan, grant and TA projects; and (iv) implementing DRM projects; • Contribute to the development and application of climate and disaster risk screening tools and guidelines for ADB projects; • Support the development and application of country disaster risk profiles; • Develop approaches for incentivizing increased investment in DRM in ADB’s DMCs;• Process and implement regional technical assistance projects (RETAs) on DRM, focusing on key gaps in DRM policy and practice in ADB’s DMCs and on innovation;• Provide support to senior management and the Board of Directors on DRM issues, including preparation of briefing notes and presentation materials, as required. C. Knowledge Generation and Sharing• Strengthen global and regional partnerships and inter-agency relations in DRM; • Represent ADB at international DRM forums, preparing and delivering presentations and interventions highlighting ADB’s DRM policies, programs, and projects;• Develop knowledge products that strengthen understanding of disaster risk and promulgate solutions for managing disaster risk;• Design and deliver staff learning programs and briefing sessions on DRM; • Supervise the maintenance of databases, websites and other resources containing relevant information on DRM issues, policies and programs. D. Staff Supervision• Provide leadership and support to reporting staff.• Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.• Ensure the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
• Master’s degree, or equivalent, in Social or Environmental Sciences, Engineering or related fields. University degree in Social or Environmental Sciences, Engineering or related fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree. .
• Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.• At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in DMCs with good knowledge of the Asia-Pacific region.• Demonstrated understanding and application of DRM.• Proven analytical, conceptual and strategic thinking skills.• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.• Strong interpersonal skills.• International experience working in several countries.• Experience in urban development, water resource management, and/or disaster risk financing would be an advantage.
• Supervisor: Director, Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Division concurrently Technical Advisor (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management)• The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent: -Administrative Staff -National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.