Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world. In Nepal, our mission is to provide clean water, hygiene and sanitation to every government school in the Kathmandu Valley in the next 5 years. To learn more, please visit www.splash.org. Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are: • People – People first. People second. People third. • Quality – Beautiful products that function and last. • Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS. • Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere. • Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
The Nepal WASH Infrastructure Specialist is responsible for design and implementation oversight, troubleshooting, evaluation and ensuring quality of our water and sanitation work in Nepal. WASH Infrastructure at Splash includes water filtration systems, drinking and handwashing stations, sanitation improvements, and all other associated equipment of Splash programs such as pre-filtration systems, water kiosks, water storage, site drainage, and pumps.
The WASH Infrastructure Specialist must have extensive knowledge of sustainable practices and goals in the larger Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector. S/he will provide oversight, training, and support to implementation partners regarding Splash’s water and sanitation strategy and implementation plans. This position will collaborate closely with the Nepal Country Director, Program Specialist, and other local and Seattle-based program staff. The WASH Infrastructure Specialist has the opportunity to make significant contributions to the challenging field of urban water, sanitation and hygiene for children in Nepal. On top of that S/he will coordinate/collaborate closely with concerned government agencies, sector partners and other stakeholders to promote program quality, local ownership sustainability and other program synergy.
- Assist Country Director and other program team on program designing, strategizing, partnership management, planning, reporting and other programmatic issues.
- Provide strategic support to implementing partners on program planning, implementation, monitoring and sustainability management.
- Ensure organizational results in Nepal for Splash’s key outcome area: “Improved WASH Infrastructure”
- Assess capacity of implementing partners, design capacity building strategies and deliver capacity building initiatives.
- Provide input to global program design based on local context and learnings, and participate in refining quality standards for Splash water and sanitation programs for children in urban institutions, with a special emphasis on gender sensitive facilities and menstrual hygiene management (MHM)
- Design new sanitation facilities as well as the rehabilitation of existing sanitation facilities in urban institutions.
- Collaborate with other Splash Program team members in Kathmandu and Seattle, and share knowledge with other country teams to support Splash’s continuous learning and improvement process
- Lead inventory management process to ensure that Splash has an accurate count of all inventory for Splash programs (whether directly owned and stored by Splash or by implementation partners)
- Manage relationships with local suppliers and vendors (i.e. water filtration) and assist in management of procurement process
- Participate in developing local budgets, particularly related to WASH infrastructure activities and expenses
- Provide technical and engineering assistance to implementation partner staff
- Ensure that water and sanitation program information is accurate and up to date in Splash’s database
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness of the hardware being installed and make improvements where necessary
- Support Country Director and Seattle-based Development team in creating WASH infrastructure components of proposals and reports
- Conduct regular research and stay current on WASH sector
Compensation & Benefits
Salary will be established at the time of hire and reviewed annually.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
Qualified candidates must have a BA or BS in Environmental or Civil Engineering (Masters preferred) and at least 5 years of experience working in international development on WASH-related programs including at least 2 years of experience in water filtration and/or sanitation; urban experience strongly preferred. In addition, this position requires an individual who is highly proficient in the WASH sector, conversant on current sector thinking related to water treatment and sanitation, and has the ability to collaborate effectively with international staff and programs, including local implementation partners and vendors. Candidates must demonstrate strong knowledge on water quality, water supply, sanitation design, and sustainability management; as well as strong quantitative aptitude and desire to learn new skills. This position also requires proficiency with technology such as Microsoft Office (required), and engineering design software such as AutoCAD (preferred).
Desired Attributes Include
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- You are innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You are part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- You are able to work independently and as part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and interaction
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve