Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
• People – People first. People second. People third.
• Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
• Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
• Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
• Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
The Program Sustainability Manager will lead Splash’s work to ensure the long-term success and sustainability of our programs. Splash is committed to ensuring that our partner sites (schools, orphanages, etc.) have the knowledge, financial resources, sense of ownership, and tools to sustain our programs and ensure continued impact. The Program Sustainability Manager will ensure that within the next five years, we have developed and implemented sustainability models for each of our country programs.
The Program Sustainability Manager will work with the Seattle-based Programs team as well as Country Directors and staff in each of our offices to develop and implement sustainability models. These models will include social enterprise activities, supply chain solutions, partner site ownership activities and evidence of success, financial viability, and other sustainability considerations. This position is a key contributor to Splash’s ability to deliver on our push for localized transitions that enable us to exit from each country while ensuring continued impact. S/he will mentor and manage sustainability staff overseas to ensure that we are testing and learning from sustainability efforts in a way that reflects our commitment to quality, transparency, and continuous learning.
The Program Sustainability Manager is a creative, strategic thinker as well as a hands-on and detail oriented project manager. S/he is thorough, a great problem solver, and an excellent communicator.
- Review existing sustainability initiatives in each Splash country program, and ensure that learnings and best practices are well documented and shared across the organization.
- Determine needs and priorities for sustainability in each country in terms of revenue sources (social enterprise, government, individual schools, etc.) local service providers and suppliers.
- Work alongside Program team to define sustainability metrics and build into organizational monitoring & evaluation frameworks and processes.
- Support the development of business models, Splash standards, pilot tests, data gathering initiatives (such as surveys with key stakeholders) and other tools to better understand and capture the needs and potential solutions in each country.
- Support proposal development as well as reporting and compliance needs related to donor communications, grant deliverables and other external reporting.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with country offices, sustainability staff and external consultants supporting local projects.
- Work closely with Program team members in Seattle to understand learnings and needs related to each of their areas, and the implications for long-term sustainability.
- Stay up to date on sustainability best practices and build Splash’s network of sustainability experts for continuous learning and improvement.
- Serve as a thought leader in the sector, representing Splash on issues of sustainability and social enterprise.
- Be willing and able to travel internationally (25% travel)
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire, and will be reviewed at least annually. Splash provides generous benefits including paid time off, medical, dental, and vision, as well as a 401k plan.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelors degree in Business, Social Science, or a related field and at least 5 years of relevant work experience, including experience living/working in resource-limited international environments. In addition, this position requires a fundamental understanding of social enterprise, international development, and sustainability. Candidates must have demonstrated experience with project management, financial models, and stakeholder analysis. Experience in an international NGO preferred.
Desired Attributes Include
- You demonstrate excellent analytical and business skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment.
- You have experience living or working in an international context, and a strong interest in global health, water and advocacy for children.
- You are results-oriented and you place a high value on the quality and accuracy of your work.
- You are a creative, big-picture thinker but also enjoy rolling up your sleeves and creating detailed deliverables as needed
- You have strong communication skills and ability to connect with people of various levels in an organization.
- You exhibit cultural sensitivity and the ability to work effectively with remote team members using e-mail, Skype, and other such methods.
- You are personally motivated by Splash’s mission and goals.