WWF, the global conservation organization, is one of the World’s largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. WWF has a global network active in over 100 countries with almost 5 million supporters.
WWF’s mission is to stop the degradation of the earth’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world’s biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
The Arctic is one of the priorities places where WWF works. The Arctic Programme leads the WWF Network, WWF National Offices in Arctic states, and other interested WWF offices in conservation efforts in the Arctic. The Arctic Programme is headquartered at WWF-Canada in Ottawa and members of the coordinating team are hosted by various Arctic Programme offices.
The Senior Specialist, Responsible Development is tasked with elements of development, delivery and implementation of the WWF vision for the future sustainable development of the Arctic. The overall goal is to eliminate and/or mitigate immediate threats associated with development to vulnerable and valuable Arctic ecosystems, species, and ecosystem services. This work will be undertaken in close collaboration with WWF national offices, WWF network practices, and various external partners and stakeholders. This role is responsible for advancing the a component of the Arctic programme in designing, coordinating, and implementing specific activities to achieve WWF Arctic Strategic Plan objectives on responsible development and integration of value of ecosystem services into development and investment decisions.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead implementation of the vision of the WWF Arctic Programme strategy on shaping the Arctic sustainable development future and coordinate updates of the strategic plan as appropriate.
- Coordinate the WWF working group(s) (practitioners network) for responsible development in order to facilitate implementation of the WWF Arctic Strategic Plan.
- Ensure effective collaboration with WWF national offices and other units to ensure achievement of WWF’s Arctic Strategic Plan and to ensure national office plans are mutually supportive and integrated on issues related to responsible development (oil and gas, shipping, fishery, energy production, natural capital, infrastructure).
- Maintain strategic overview of development opportunities and keep abreast of new trends, including in the investment and financial sectors, and emerging opportunities for WWF.
- Create strategic partnerships and alliances with international, national, and regional stakeholders including conservation groups, industry and government.
- Liaise with the Arctic Programme communications team and other WWF communications colleagues to help prepare relevant messages, positions, and other materials.
- Provide technical and policy advice to staff and to the broader WWF Network as required.
- Identify new sources of funding, develop and submit fundraising proposals, and pursue relationships with new donors in coordination with various stakeholders.
- Strengthen, diversify and maintain working relationships with governments, Indigenous Peoples organizations, business and industry and the non-governmental community.
- Track and report on progress according to WWF operational protocols and standards.
- Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years post-graduation work experience in a position directly relating to development, financial/development institutions, conservation or advocacy, Arctic experience is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of Arctic development operations and challenges, including key sectors (development, investment, oil and gas, energy, fishing, infrastructure and shipping).
- Understanding of the ecosystem services concept and knowledge of key approaches.
- Excellent leadership, management, coordination, motivational and interpersonal skills, including strong experience coordinating/leading virtual remote teams.
- Proven ability to execute plans and deliver on agreed objectives.
- Strong problem-solving, interpersonal, and strategic thinking skills coupled with an outcome, delivery-oriented approach.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop positive relationships with all stakeholders involved in Arctic development discussions, understanding indigenous perspective is an asset.
- Experience and understanding of policy work and demonstrated ability to do advocacy.
- Experience in working with investment and/or insurance sector.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically.
- Demonstrated ability to act as a spokesperson to the media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, knowledge of another Arctic language is an asset.
- Capacity and willingness to travel and to be able to work in Arctic regions when required.
- Be passionately committed to the mission and objectives of WWF and to its success in accomplishing these.
- Be able to demonstrate skills that contribute to maintaining an organizational culture that attracts, keeps and motivates top quality staff.
- Is a proactive, self-motivating person, who works within the team but demonstrates ability for autonomy and is not shy to ask for information or advice.
- Generates ideas, is solutions-oriented, constructive in debates, well-organized, passionate, and is inspirational to others.
- Excellent oral and written presentation and communication skills, rigor, and ability to translate technical and scientific information for a non-technical audience.
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined, and Engaging.
- This is a full-time, two-year term position with possibility of renewal.
- This position will be at a WWF national Arctic office depending on the suitability of the successful candidate.
- There will be international travel as part of this role.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, you may submit your application:
By Mail: [email protected]
For questions about the position please contact Alexander Shestakov at: [email protected] or call Tel: +1 613 293 31 49.
The deadline for applications is June 10, 2017.