The World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) is a global nonprofit organization working for a stronger and more effective United Nations. Established in 1946, we represent and coordinate a membership of over 100 United Nations Associations and their thousands of members. We are the largest international network of people supporting and engaging with the United Nations.
We work to build a better world by strengthening and improving the United Nations, through the engagement of people who share a global mindset and support international cooperation – global citizens.
Our organization has offices at the United Nations in both New York and Geneva as well as Seoul, www.wfuna.org
2030 Agenda : The 2030 sustainable development agenda is an ongoing and comprehensive process involving actors at multiple levels in the discussion on how to approach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and its financing needs over the next 15 years. WFUNA engages with this process in several ways, including participating in UN events, informing our UNAs on developments and implementing campaigns and programs. WFUNA is developing programs to engage civil society in the implementation, monitoring and review process for the 2030 agenda and the SDGs, utilizing relationships with existing donors and expanding partnerships.
Transparency, Accountability and Participation Network (TAP Network) : WFUNA is the host and a member the Steering Committee for the TAP Network (www.tapnetwork2030.org). TAP is a broad network of civil society organizations that work to ensure that open, inclusive, accountable and effective governance is at the heart of 2030 Agenda, and that civil society is recognized and mobilized as indispensable partners in the design, implementation of and accountability for sustainable development policies, at all levels.
16+ Forum: WFUNA launched the 16+ Forum in 2016 to engage Member States, civil society organizations, UN agencies and other stakeholders on issues related to ‘peaceful, just and inclusive societies. The 16+ Forum includes a number of activities and events (http://www.wfuna.org/sixteenplusforum).
The Sustainable Development Officer is responsible for coordinating the organization’s overall strategy on sustainable development, with a special focus on the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs; as well as developing, planning and implementing programs related to sustainable development and civil society engagement. He/she will be responsible for fundraising for and developing WFUNA’s programs in this thematic area, updating program documents, engaging stakeholders, advocacy activities, creating program materials and liaising and coordinating with program partners. In addition, the officer will regularly update content for and maintain the sustainable development section of the WFUNA website; initiate outreach to UNAs and other constituents; participate in UN and civil society discussions, meetings and processes relating to sustainable development; and keep the Secretary-General updated and debriefed on developments.
He/she also has general staff duties.
He/she reports to the Secretary-General.
The position is based in our New York office.
– Conceptualizing and coordinating an overall strategy for WFUNA’s work on sustainable development and engagement with the Post-2015 agenda and the SDGs.
– Developing, fundraising for and implementing programs and campaigns on civil society engagement in the 2030 Agenda
– Work with the Development Officer to create a fundraising plan for programs
– Work with the Peace and Disarmament Officer to coordinate the 16+ Forum
– Work with the Finance Officer to create and monitor budgets for the programs
– Research potential funding prospects, draft letters of inquiry and concept notes, write and submit grant applications
– Build and manage relationships with stakeholders and program partners
– Develop program materials
– Program implementation including logistics, trainings, capacity-building activities, communication and outreach efforts
– Monitoring & evaluation of program including reporting to donors
– Organize SDG-related activities such as workshops, online discussions, and educational initiatives
– Following/participating in relevant UN processes such as the SDG events, the High-level Political Forum, the UN Statistical Commission and multi-stakeholder and civil society networks, including the UN Major Groups
– Keeping member UNAs and other constituents updated on SDG developments through the website, presentations, activities, social media and traditional media
– Frequent communication on programs as well as thematic updates on WFUNA’s communication platforms
– Advocacy activities on issues of interest to WFUNA
– General staff duties related to WFUNA’s work
– Other duties as assigned by the Secretary-General
– Regular reporting on duties to the Secretary-General
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
– Experience with and knowledge of project management, budgeting and evaluation methodologies
– Ability to think strategically and to analyze, interpret and assess programmatic information
– Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with partner organizations
– Documented experience with sustainable development issues and knowledge of the Post-2015 process
– Documented experience and knowledge of education
– Documented fundraising experience
– Knowledge of the United Nations
– NGO experience
– Field experience a plus
– Excellent written and oral communication skills
– Master’s degree or higher in related field
– Experience using social media networks and media tools for outreach
– Fluency in English necessary, knowledge of French/Spanish a plus
– Knowledge of Content Management Systems, HTML, and Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
– High energy, results-oriented
– Ability to involve and motivate key stakeholders
– Strong interpersonal skills
– Well-organized and thorough with close attention to detail and follow-through
– Works well in a small office environment and thrives in a multi-faceted, fast paced environment
– Adaptive and flexible
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV.
Due to high level of interest, we will only respond to prospective candidates. Please note that we cannot respond to email or telephone requests about this position.
At this time, we can only accept applications from prospective candidates who hold a valid long-term visa to work in the United States.
The deadline to apply is 5 pm on Friday 9 June 2017. We will not consider any applications after this deadline.