About Wetlands International
Wetlands act as water sources, sinks and purifiers. They protect our shores. They are Earth’s greatest natural carbon stores. They support abundant and unique nature. But we have lost many of these wetland treasures. Since 1900 more than 64% of freshwater wetlands have been lost through drainage and conversion and much of the rest have been degraded. This leaves people and nature vulnerable. It’s time to reverse this trend. Together with many partners around the world, Wetlands International works to safeguard and restore wetlands to benefit people and nature.
Wetlands International is a worldwide, non-profit organisation with 60 years of experience. Our organisation is made up of a network of 20 offices, with outstanding staff working around the world. By enabling others to safeguard and manage wetlands better, we help to reconcile conflicts over water, reduce the risks and impacts of floods and droughts, meet future food needs and tackle climate change.
Purpose of job
The Media Officer will enable the organisation to raise its profile by increasing visibility amongst international media. S/he will focus on positioning the economic, cultural and ecological values of conserving and restoring wetlands, by developing the right messaging for different media channels.
- Design and implement a Wetlands International Global Media Plan in alignment with the Global Communications and Advocacy Strategy;
- Build and manage relations with relevant international media;
- Proactively look for media opportunities (articles, interviews, TV programs, press trips);
- Respond to media requests;
- Create impactful content – visually and written – and pitch it to relevant media;
- Develop Q&A’s for the organisation;
- Develop position papers on topics relevant for the organisation;
- Advise on reputational risks and messaging;
- Develop and execute media strategies for key mobilising moments (national, regional, or including use of print and digital materials, interactive events, or other creative approaches; international conferences; international awareness and action days; major meetings);
- Organise media trainings for Wetlands International senior staff across the globe;
- Contribute to increasing the visibility of Wetlands International at a global level.
The successful candidate is an outgoing writer with relevant experience on media relationships and communications. Wetlands International’s Media Officer is proactive, creative, optimistic, and can transform scientific or technical content into compelling stories.
Essential skills and experience
- Proactive, creative, optimistic and results-oriented;
- Master’s or other advanced degree in communications, journalism, social sciences, international development, or related field;
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the field of international media communications;
- Excellent writing skills in English;
- Experience in journalistic techniques, sensitivity for usage of text, language and images;
- Knowledge and experience in digital and traditional media;
- Experienced spokesperson;
- Works well in a team environment as well as individually;
- Ability to communicate success stories in versatile formats;
- Belief in and passion for Wetlands international’s mission.
Desired skills and experience
- Additional languages, especially French, Spanish, Dutch advantageous
- An extensive relevant media network
- InDesign basic knowledge
- Experience in a holistic communication approach
- Knowledge and experience in using analytics for taking decisions
- 24 hours per week
- Salary scale 9-10
- Contract duration 1 year, with possibility to extension
- Location: Ede- Wageningen, The Netherlands
- Start date: a.s.a.p.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating your motivation and the skills that you would bring to this specific post along with your resume /CV by email to [email protected]. Documents must be submitted in English, stated “Media Officer” in the email subject line. Deadline for the application: June 11th 2017.