The National Wildlife Federation’s National Advocacy Center is seeking an intern to join our DC office for a 48 week opportunity supporting the Clean Water for All campaign. The Clean Water for All campaign uses targeted mobilization, coalition building, communications, on-the-ground field organizing, advocacy, education, and accountability tactics to communicate the importance of clean water and healthy waterways, and defend our fundamental clean water safeguards against any federal efforts to weaken clean water protections. This campaign leverages opportunities to improve federal water infrastructure investment, pushing for investments that are smarter, nature-based, and more equitable. We advocate for our approach in a bi-partisan fashion through our allies in Congress and through connections with the Administration. We will also seek opportunities to reduce nutrient pollution from agricultural pollution in the 2018 Farm Bill.
The intern will play a key role in the development of the campaign’s infrastructure and strategy, as well as assist in overall program management and communication (internal and external).
In this role you will:
- Research, write, and edit strategic plans, memos and correspondence
- Create a database to maintain Campaign materials
- Manage the day to day operations for the Campaign
- Perform legislative and policy work at the federal, state and local levels, including tracking bills and administrative regulations/ rulemakings, distributing information to decision-makers in hard copy and e-mail, maintaining target database and policy information and attending various meetings.
- Coalition-building and management with partners, including attending coalition meetings, assisting with lobby days and trainings, calling activists and like-minded organizations
- Work closely with campaign director to maintain campaign communications
- Provide logistical support in organizing meetings and other events, including arranging travel, taking minutes, and distributing notes and other materials
- Perform administrative duties as assigned
- Interface with Clean Water for All Campaign partner groups to develop activities that support core message themes and agreed-upon strategy
- Perform other duties, including assisting with other NWF water resources activities, projects and events as needed
- BA or BS, with strong course work or work experience in public health, political science, environmental policy, community engagement, or campaigns
- Ability to conduct extensive research and synthesize information clearly and accurately is a must
- Able to successfully juggle multiple, complex projects under tight deadlines
- Strong grasp of how to use communications tools strategically to support advocacy
- Self-motivated and well organized
- The ideal candidate will also possess excellent writing, speaking and computer skills and have proven experience in writing for multiple audiences
- Power point skills and knowledge of lay-out and design programs are a plus
- Experience in or demonstrated commitment to environmental advocacy and community outreach and engagement in particular is desirable
- The Intern must be available to work a 40-hour weekly schedule
A background check will be conducted on the selected candidate.
Interested candidates should submit both a cover letter and resume. We offer excellent benefits, competitive compensation, and a flexible work environment. The National Wildlife Federation is committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.