World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address six critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water and sustainable cities.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges,and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $100 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of nearly 700 people with work spanning 50 countries. We have offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States.
WRI is seeking a multi-disciplinary Research Analyst to assist in the management of two high-impact projects to improve how we create, discover, and use data to support a more resilient and prosperous world.
As a member of the Partnership for Resilience and Preparedness (PREP) team, you will coordinate the design and development of the next phase of the PREP platform, prepdata.org. Your core responsibilities will be to synthesize input from various stakeholders and manage the priorities of the platform development team. As an advocate for the users of the PREP platform, your ultimate goal will be to ensure that PREP helps communities use data to plan for the effects of climate change.
As a member of the Resource Watch team, you will help coordinate, manage, and grow internal and external partnerships around Resource Watch. You will have the opportunity to shape the design, development, and launch of Resource Watch, and liaise with leading technology and data providers inside and outside of WRI. The Research Analyst will report to both WRI’s Data for Impact Lead and the Senior Associate/PREP Manager.
WRI is committed to ensuring gender equity across our program portfolios. As such, the Research Analyst will support attention to gender where appropriate.
The Research Analyst’s main areas of responsibility will include the following:
Product Management – PREP (50%)
- Manage the design and development of prepdata.org in coordination with the PREP manager, the Resource Watch team and external partners
- Serve as a liaison between the PREP and Resource Watch development efforts to insure efficient development of both platforms
- Manage day-to-day interaction with external web vendor, set priorities and keep deadlines
- Assist in the development of PREP case studies and dashboards together with partners and local community representatives
- Develop and maintain a strong vision and theory of change for the PREP website together with the Climate Resilience Practice team and PREP partnership
- Assist in coordinating the PREP Platforms working group
- Help prepare web content, coordinating with core communications, partners, and others as needed
Project Support – Resource Watch (50%)
- Manage partner communications and engagement, including solicitation of partner data and content, and work to grow and sustain an excited and engaged partnership
- Assist in the coordination between the Resource Watch team and related initiatives across the institute
- Help curate and prepare data for Resource Watch
- Support programs in preparing data and tools for inclusion in Resource Watch
- Support the design and development of Resource Watch
- Degree: BA/BS or higher
- 1-3 years relevant work experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to understand issues from different perspectives, and the confidence to take principled positions or seek help when needed
- High degree of comfort with web technologies, with the ability to work with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- A self-motivated learner with a willingness and ability to take on new challenges as required
- Strong visual and aesthetic sense
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Experience managing web or other product development
- Experience managing partnerships of diverse stakeholders
- Experience with GIS, front-end, and back-end web development
Relocation reimbursement not available for this position.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must apply online at careers.wri.org to be considered.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI’s policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.