The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization specialized in assisting and advocating for the rights of refugees, returnees and internally displaced people (IDPs).
- Identify WASH needs of the IDPs, Returnees and Host’ families in communities.
- Conduct WASH needs assessments, WASH technical assessments, distributions, and hygiene promotion sessions.
- To identify WASH needs in schools and ensure effective & quality delivery of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) in schools.
- Identify and assess public hygiene risks and needs.
- Arrange and deliver hygiene promotion sessions to raise hygiene standards and practices among targeted communities.
- Implement hygiene promotion initiatives appropriate to the context ensuring the technical and social aspects of water and sanitation programming are integrated.
- Educate people about key aspects of hygiene in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Mobilize, motivate and encourage potential leaders to talk to their fellow community members about good hygiene practices.
- Provide active and ongoing technical oversight to ‘Community WASH Focal Points’.
- Supervise the delivery, distribution, and implementation of (WASH) interventions in field.
- Ensure all work is carried out as per the community needs and project standards.
- Monitor the WASH issues within target communities through the ‘Community WASH Focal Points’, as well as directly through spot checks and assessments.
- Forging relationships with people in the community in order to get the message across.
- Identify natural leaders within the target communities and train and mentor them to be ‘Community WASH Focal Points’ (e.g. Community Hygiene Promoters, WASH Committee Members).
- Collaborate with a number of other agencies, including local authorities and international aid workers during the implementation of WASH programs
- Develop trust, tolerance and co-operation among community members.
- Assist the WASH Technical Officer on supervision of water and sanitation construction activities
- Document and report on conducted activities to ensure that needs assessed are being effectively responded to and that interventions are being documented.
- Report areas of concern to the WASH (Water and Sanitation Hygiene) Operations Officer.
- Provide daily, weekly, and monthly reports to WASH Operations Officers on project progress against work plan.
- Bachelor of Civil/Water Engineering or Public Health Engineering.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with WATSAN projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2-3 years’ work experience in WASH with an NGO is desirable
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Must be able to work under pressure and strictly follow datelines
- Education title: Bachelor of Civil/Water Engineering or Public Health Engineering
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labow Law
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected