Heal the Bay’s programs reach 50,000 people every year, under three pillars: Thriving Oceans, Healthy Watersheds and Smart Water Management. We educate the greater Los Angeles region about the causes and impacts of water pollution, watershed and ocean health degradation, a need for improved local water supply, and what residents can do to help and become stewards for the local environment. This is an excellent leadership opportunity that will be useful for gaining community outreach experience, event planning, resume building, and obtaining references.
- Work with the development and cleanup managers to plan and execute beach and inland cleanup events, including packing, driving, and unpacking pickup truck
- Coordinate cleanup educators from our pool of Speaker Bureau members, solicit volunteers and staff to assist on the day of the cleanup event
- Help oversee volunteers and staff to ensure that cleanup event runs safely and smoothly
- Assist with monthly Nothin’ But Sand beach cleanups – every third Saturday
- Coordinate Heal the Bay’s high school program including maintaining Microsoft Excel data base of club members, visiting schools, communicating with club advisors, and organizing youth summits
- Assist Santa Monica Pier Aquarium educators with high school teacher professional development
- Work with our communications team to coordinate Club Heal the Bay WordPress blog
- Support education events including Watershed Ed, Speakers Bureau, and Lunch and Learn, as needed
- Strong leadership and coordination skills for working with volunteers
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent people skills and a passion for working with the public
- Ability to drive a pickup truck and comfortable carrying supplies across the sand
- Enthusiastic, motivating, and comfortable presenting environmental information
- Knowledge of and passion for rivers and ocean
- Knowledge of common core and next generation science standards is a plus
- Well organized, able to work on several projects simultaneously, both independently and as a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, and social media applications. Prezi, and WordPress are a plus.
- Valid driver’s license required–driving to outreach events and meetings will be required
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish is a plus
Salary: $15.00/hour with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld. Paid sick leave is provided. There are no dental, medical, health insurance, or vacation benefits included as part of employment.
Hours: Part-time 29 hours per week. Must be available for occasional weekend events.
Application Deadline: Until filled