CDP is seeking an experienced self-starter who is able to navigate a fast-moving international policy landscape, managing key relationships, and providing strategic advice to CDP management. The post-holder will lead work on Climate Action and Sustainable Development Goals, other key work areas will include general policy communications and event management.
CDP’s Policy & Public Affairs team is based in CDP’s headquarters in the City of London, providing strategic direction to management and leading on international and UK policy relationships. The PPA team works closely with government-facing colleagues in CDP’s other offices around the world and with other teams based in London including Communications, Fundraising, Carbon Pricing and thematic programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Taking the lead within the PPA team on matters related to UNFCCC negotiations and the Marrakesh Partnership, establishing productive relationships with external stakeholders and working with partner organisations towards common policy goals;
- Representing CDP externally at conferences and events, including some public speaking:
- Helping CDP to develop its internal thinking and external action program in relation to the UN Sustainable Development Goals;
- Contributing to CDP advocacy or engagement work in other relevant policy areas as required, for example around corporate reporting regulation, carbon pricing, water or deforestation;
- Taking a lead role in organising and supporting policy-related CDP events, including CDP’s participation in UNFCCC negotiations as well as other events throughout the year;
- Taking a strong role in CDP’s communications-related activity around policy, including managing the regular CDP government newsletter and supporting CDP’s policy-related social media.
Required skills and experience:
- 3 years’ recent experience of working on international environmental policy and political dynamics, in particular around climate change, ideally with around one or more of water, deforestation and/or the UN Sustainable Development Goals;
- An analytical mind capable of scanning and sifting complex or changing information in order to produce strategic advice or recommendations;
- Experience in relationship/account management at senior level, with a collaborative and engaging personality;
- Ability to write fluently and engagingly in English for a variety of audiences and in a variety of styles;
- Experience of managing events with high level audiences and speakers;
- Strong project management experience;
- Experience of working in the field of communications or marketing, and/or the desire to develop related skills (e.g. newsletter management, social media support, drafting blogs, writing policy briefings);
- Professional attitude, using tact and diplomacy to deal with complex or sensitive issues.
- A high level of experience in a similar role;
- Proficiency in a second language other than English, preferably German, French, Portuguese or Chinese;
- Knowledge of corporate environmental disclosure and associated developments such as the FSB Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures;
- Experience of analysing data in order to produce reports.
This is a full time role based at CDP’s Central London office.
Salary and benefits: £30,000-38,000 per annum depending on experience, annual discretionary bonus, 24 days’ holiday (increasing to 30), generous non-contributory pension provision, life assurance and others.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK. Some travel will be required.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to [email protected] with ‘Policy and Public Affairs Manager’ in the subject. The deadline is 9am on Monday 12th June. Interviews are expected to take place on 14th-16th June so please say in your email whether you would be available on those dates.