The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 1.4 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of nearly 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to fight for the planet and its people in the halls of Congress, communities across the country, and nations around the globe. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff – a force for nature – work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC seeks a Program Assistant to work in its Washington, D.C. office. The Program Assistant will provide administrative support to the Urban Solutions program and Climate and Clean Air program. Urban Solutions works to produce strong, just and resilient communities that address climate change, by providing the support necessary for urban areas to find, fund and implement integrated, equitable and replicable policy and market strategies. The Climate and Clean Air program works to curb dangerous pollution that drives climate change.
The successful candidate must have good problem-solving skills and the ability to handle administrative tasks such as: scheduling and coordinating meetings, preparing materials, processing expenses using Concur, booking travel, and handling phone calls.
- Scheduling, organizing, and facilitating internal and external meetings
- Budget administration, processing invoices, monthly business expenses and monthly credit card statements
- Organizing meetings and special events
- Maintaining files and documents, copying and distributing documents, and managing emails, voicemails and other correspondence
- Booking travel
- Answering general inquiry telephone calls and e-mails
- Taking notes for various internal/external meetings
- Proofreading and editing correspondence
- Providing general administrative support
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and be detail oriented
- Interest in environmental issues a plus
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks
- Must have the ability to work well under pressure
- Must possess a high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office 2016 including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience with Microsoft Great Plains, Dropbox, and GIS a plus
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.