Responsibilities and tasks
- Ensure overall guidance and strategic management of the Regional Programme and its initiatives.
- Support high-quality research, ensuring that economic, social and bio-physical considerations are well-integrated and results lead to development outcomes.
- Reflect ICIMOD’s principles and values, emphasizing the role of mountain people in the HKH region.
- Network and communicate with partners to ensure clear programme outcomes.
- Develop and implement the strategic vision of the Programme with an emphasis on cross-fertilization across initiatives.
- Lead, supervise and mentor staff and carry out performance appraisals.
- Monitor impact pathways in coordination with ICIMOD’s Strategic Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit
- Ensure timely and high quality reporting (technical and financial) to donors and partners.
- Develop and manage budgets and review programme expenditures.
- Work as a team player to participate in ICIMOD’s strategic planning, promote institutional activities and contribute ICIMOD’s development as an integrated mountain development centre.
- Support the Programme Coordinators in developing partnerships with national, regional, and global stakeholders.
- Disseminate results to local to international policy makers and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that the role and participation of women are effectively integrated
- Collaborate with ICIMOD’s Strategic Cooperation Unit and represent ICIMOD in regional and international fora.
- Support ICIMOD’s Directorate in resource mobilization activities to secure expansion of programme funding.
- Write concept notes and proposals
- Maintain constructive dialogue with sponsors whenever required
- Exploring co-funding opportunities involving regional partners and/or member countries
- Provide leadership in developing research programmes on regional environmental and development challenges faced in South Asia
- Liaise with researchers and policy makers to identify and broadcast pragmatic solutions
- Provide technical supervision to economics researchers on different aspects of environment and development economics
- Undertake technical editing of research reports and policy briefs to ensure high-quality research products
- Provide oversight to training workshops, including curriculum design and selection of instructors and participants
- Initiate new research and training activities, in consultation with the SANDEE Advisory Group identifying experts, dissemination fora, and potential researchers
- Liaise with the SANDEE Advisory Group and coordinate the activities of this Group
- Coordinate with ICIMOD Directorate and donors to raise funds for SANDEE-specific activities
- Ph.D. in economics,
- At least 10 years of work experience as a lead researcher or research manager working on environment and development issues which has preferably been in the Hindu Kush Himalayan region or South Asia
- Five years of experience in a leading or management position, preferably in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience in the management of large-scale research / development programmes
- A proven track record in promoting and supporting gender equity
- Knowledge: Possess state-of-the-art knowledge on subjects related to the regional programme, and on environmental and resource economics, in particular. Ability to set direction and priorities for SANDEE’s research capacity building, and mentor and provide technical support to grantees in partnership with SANDEE’s faculty advisors. Ability to represent institution in international forums.
- Management and coordination: The ability to plan and manage large-scale programmes on a strategic level, including financial overview, people management, monitoring and evaluation
- Networking/stakeholder management: The ability to identify relevant partners, build new linkages, and effectively facilitate stakeholder processes, manage conflict and negotiate major programme issues
- Communication and outreach: Excellent written and spoken English; the ability to effectively present, discuss, convince people and target groups on different levels with tailored messages; ensure effective channels of communication across the organization
- Results/impact orientation: Ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative and self-motivation; the ability to apply a proactive strategic approach within and outside the organization to generate concrete results leading to impacts
- Social/team competency: The ability to build effective teams including people from different disciplinary and cultural backgrounds and across the organization; give and receive constructive feedback; provide information and share resources across the organization to help make decisions collaboratively and solve mutual problems
- Report and proposal writing: The ability to write and coordinate the preparation of complex project and programme reports, write successful proposals, and synthesize results from different thematic areas
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 04 June 2017 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.