INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
1. Terms of reference
Job title: PM WASH
Duty station: Yambio, Western Equatoria
Starting date: ASAP
Duration of contract: 9 months
Reporting to: NFIs/ WASH Program Coordinator
Supervision of: Head of Mission/ NFIs/WASH Program Coordinator
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
2. General context of the project
The incumbent will, under direct supervision of the NFIs/WASH Program Coordinator, be in charge of the implementation of WASH projects in Yambio, Western Equatoria. Incumbent will also be in charge of establishing relationship with WASH cluster, UNICEF and other relevant potential donors to explore possibility of exploring new funding opportunity in other areas where needs are not yet met.
The proposed position will also lead the role of State Focal Point for WASH cluster by organizing state level cluster meetings and ensure effective communication as per cluster TORs. He/she will not only support ongoing UNICEF funded WASH project in Western Equatoria but also strive at state level to initiate need assessments for project expansion.
3. General purpose of the position
The WASH Project Manager is responsible for the overall management and supervision of water, sanitation and hygiene project activities at all phases of the project in target areas of Western Equatoria.
He/ She will also be responsible for achieving project objectives and will coordinate with NFIs/WASH Program Coordinator and the project team to ensure successful implementation of the WASH project.
The WASH PM will ensure that the project is completed within set time, budget and set quality.
4. Tasks and responsibilities
· Be responsible for implementation of the WASH project according to the signed Agreement and further modification approved by the donors
· Be responsible for assessments, projects design, reports (final and interim) preparations for institutional and public funding
· Be responsible for the timely submission of project proposals as well as external and internal reports to donors and clusters
· Be responsible of the preparation of all the accounting documents, including tender and procurement for intermediate and final financial reports required by donors
· Ensure a steady and active representation of INTERSOS at cluster level as well in all the other, significant meetings (i.e. coordination among WASH partners.)
· Maintain daily relationship with the Donors and involve the NFIs/WASH Program Coordinator whereas strategic opportunity can arise
· Fund raising in order to expand WASH activities in Western Equatoria and other parts of South Sudan
· Maintain ongoing surveillance of the developing humanitarian situation and adjust activities accordingly
· Supervise and monitor the construction of WASH infrastructure as envisaged in the project proposal
· Coordinate with local authorities in Yambio, Ezo and Nzara counties
· The post holder is also the Head of INTERSOS Base for western Equatoria (Yambio)
5. Position requirements
· Degree in engineering, architecture, Public Health Engineering, etc.
· Two years’ relevant work experience dealing with WASH projects preferably in South Sudan
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in relevant program management or technical advisory roles in complex WASH projects preferably in Africa; experience in South Sudan will be highly preferred Past overseas experience essential
· Experience in managing teams
· Expertise in government, non-governmental, and community capacity building for WASH
· Prior experience and knowledge of working under humanitarian Cluster mechanism highly desirable
· Prior experience in South Sudan for more than one year (experiencing both dry and rainy seasons) desirable
· Prior experience with institutional humanitarian donors desirable
· Fluency in English required
· Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field and cope with stress
· Management and leadership skills
· Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
· Willingness to accept basic living standards. Incumbent will be deployed to Yambio, where living standard is basic (if not extremely challenging) comparing to standard in developed countries
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their curriculum vitae and motivation letter to [email protected] with subject line “PM WASH – South Sudan”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.